Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Has any one ever????

probie
probie Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever used there BGE to make apple butter. If so did you make it in a copper kettle and where did you get the kettle from. I am wanting to show my kids how to make apple butter the old fashin way with the kettle and a cherry wood paddle.

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    You can find the copper kettles/pots in local cooking stores. They are really great to have for candy making, playing with sugars and more.
    That is a great cook to share with your kids!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Tweety
    Tweety Posts: 455
    If you figure it out please share your recipe and post pictures. I'd love to try this. Great idea.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Not OLD SCHOOL,but EVERYTHING I've tried off this site is WONDERFUL! ;) Hope it helps.
    http://www.pickyourown.org/applebutter.htm
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    you could try ebay also if you don't need it yesterday LOL
  • What is apple butter?
    (I'm sure it's good, I just never heard of it).
    what do you do with it, use it like butter or more like jam or a spread?
  • Mainegg
    what a great web site Hoss! thanks for sharing
  • Mainegg
    it is a little apple heaven in a jar Bob! like a thick dark spicy apple sauce. love it on english muffins :0 or just in a shallow shortbread crust as a tart.
  • Pear Butter is awesome too. Spread that on wheat toast or corn bread of all things and you will love it.

Smokin'Stogies in Exton, Pa with my wife and our four dogs; Sully and Boo the Newfoundlands, Murphy the Irish Setter and Alli the Beagle/Lab mix. 

Eggers Prayer-

Our egg, which art in sizes, hallowed be thy smoke, thy will be grilled, at home as it is at eggfest. Give us this clay our daily brisket and forgive us our rubs, as we forgive those who gas grill against us, and lead us not to flashback but deliver us from overnighters. For thine is the grill, the smoke, the egg. Let's eat!

• probie
    The recipe is rather simple it is just time consuming.
    1 large or xl egg
    1 copper kettle that will fit in the egg
    1 or 2 maybe 3 cases of apples (the type is the part I don't remember) I just remember sweet and crunchy
    Peel and core and slice apples the larger the pieces the longer the cook
    Cinnamon
    1 to 2 cups of water
    Sugar the amount of sugar you use depends on how sweet the apples are.
    Maybe a little ground nutmeg
    1 cherry wood paddle with a long handle
    And a whole lot of time
    Cook the apples down until there is very little moisture left add sugar and cinnamon and nutmeg and keep stirring until it has the consistency of butter. Take a spoon full and put it on a glass plate and seen how much seepage come out I was taught that if you could hold the plate upside down and it doesn't fall off it was done
    Then all you do is start canning fill up pint jars and put the lids on them.
  • probie
    I have 2 pear trees that will produce about 7 or 8 qts. I hope
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Don't try their pickled okra recipe. Way too much vinegar.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I don't know the first thing about making apple butter, but it doesn't have to be copper. Mom makes it from time to time and it is awesome! Not sure what vessel she cooks it in, but I do know that the only copper she has in her house is her plumbing. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• probie
    Your right it doesn't have to be copper. That is just what I was taught to use along with the cherry wood paddle it all has to do with the flavor.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Sounds like fun! :woohoo: :ohmy: :cheer: