Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Brine?

Options
Mflyer
Mflyer Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After reading a previous post, I thought it might be a good idea to combine brining with the mad max method. I am wanting to do a Thanksgiving turkey "test run" this weekend, but I don't have enough time to purchase a brine mixture online. Just curious if anyone has a great brining recipe?

Comments

• no brine recipe here... i'm sure others will chime in.

on the BGE, though, do a brine for added flavors if you want, but you will NOT need it for guarding against drying out. if anything, even without a brine, the turkey will be so moist your mother-in-law may very well believe that it is underdone
  • Adult ADHD
    Options
    I have one cooling for a turkey now. I don't have a recipe. What I do is open the spice cabinet, while about 2 qts of water starts to heat on the stove. Then start adding stuff by the tons, salt and sugar to start, then anything else that catches my eye. I even throw in leftover tea if any is left in the fridge. Something about the tea is great. Heat water long enough to desolve salt and sugar. Don't put the turkey in until it is cooled.
    I want get to soak this one long, but have soaked for as long as two days.
  • Smokin' not stirred
    Options
    I have used this brine for a few years from www.epicurious.com :

Brine and turkey
    1 18- to 20-pound turkey
    7 quarts water
    2 cups coarse salt (about 9 ounces)
    1 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
    1 cup mild-flavored (light) molasses
    1 bunch fresh thyme
    1/2 bunch fresh sage
    2 quarts ice cubes

Line very large (about 16-quart) bowl with two 30-gallon plastic bags, one inside the other. Rinse turkey inside and out. Place turkey in plastic-lined bowl. Combine 7 quarts water, salt, sugar, molasses, 1 bunch thyme, and 1/2 bunch sage in large bowl or pot. Stir until salt and sugar dissolve. Mix in ice cubes. Pour brine over turkey in plastic bags. Gather tops of bags together, eliminating air space above brine; seal bags. Refrigerate turkey in brine 18 to 20 hours.

I got this gravy from the same website,it is awesome. Guests have been known to drink it:

Gravy
    1 cup finely chopped onion
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
    20 gingersnap cookies, coarsely crumbled (about 1 3/4 cups)
    3 to 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 cup whipping cream (optional)

Strain pan juices into bowl after turkey is done. Spoon off fat, reserving 2 tablespoons. Heat reserved 2 tablespoons turkey fat in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and thyme. Sauté until onion browns, about 10 minutes. Add turkey stock, gingersnaps, 3 tablespoons cider vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce. Add 2 cups degreased pan juices and bring to boil, whisking to dissolve gingersnaps. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until gravy thickens, about 4 minutes. Season gravy to taste with salt and pepper, adding remaining tablespoon vinegar and cream, if desired.
  • Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    Options
    Mark,
    Pretty sure it was my earlier post you're referring to. I know Alton Brown has a turkey brine recipe online...as well as many other brine recipes via web.

Ive been experimenting with brine and chicken wings...with some good early feedback on results.

Gotta love a brine, almost always cheaper than any store bought marinade, and allows much more creativity!
  • Mflyer
    Mflyer Posts: 59
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll post the results this weekend..
  • velvet jones
    Options
    Here's the food network link for the Alton Brown turkey (brine recipe included) that was mentioned earlier:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe/index.html
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Here's what we have been using for years and always gets great reviews...

2 cups brown sugar
    1 cup maple syrup
    ¾ cup coarse kosher salt
    3 whole heads of garlic, cloves separated, not peeled
    6 large bay leaves
    1 ½ cups coarsely chopped unpeeled ginger
    2 teaspoons dried chile flakes
    1 ½ cups soy sauce
    3 quarts water
    handful of fresh thyme sprigs

Combine all the brine ingredients in an enamel or stainless steel pot.
    Bring to a boil, remove from heat and let cool completely. Rinse the
    Turkey well and put in a large enamel or S.S. or food grade plastic
    pot or bucket. Cover with COLD brine and add more water if needed
    to cover the turkey. Put a plate on top of the turkey to hold it under the
    brine. Refrigerate for 2-4 days, turning the bird twice a day.