Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanks Max!!!!

Options
tfa675atl
tfa675atl Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Used your recipe and modified the set up a bit based on what I had at the house. The bird came out the moistest ever!!!! Ice at the start, wine, basted ever hour. The temperature stayed at 325 - 340 for the entire seven hours for the 20 pounder. Everyone loved the gravy ... althouth they thought it was a bit sweet ... that was a half of bottle of wine right??? (We had 1.5 liter laying around, so I used it .... guess that was a little much) :-)[p]Set up: Grill, rectangular baking stone, 4 copper elbows, roasting pan, v-rack and bird. No water pan. The baking stone came with my oven five years back. This was the first time I used it. The roasting pan was the same one we use inside. Thought my wife was going to kill me, as she feared the clean up. The stone deflecting the heat kept it pretty clean.[p]Thanks again .... two hours till turkey sandwiches ....

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    tfa675atl,
    glad it worked so well for you too. .. next time, just adjust your wine accordingly. . .pour about 2/3 on the bird, and save only 1/3 for the gravy. .. as far as the roasting pan, if you see my pics, that's an 80 year old pan that once belonged to my wife's aunt. . .since i'm doing the scrubbing afterwards, she doesn't worry about it too much. .. the extra elbow grease during cleanup is worth it in my opinion. . .enjoy your samiches today!!![p]best[p]max

• yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    Options
    tfa675atl,
    I'll heartily second your attaboy to Max for his turkey method.[p]For the wine I modified the recipe a bit, using calvados and manzanilla sherry along with some chardonnay. The cooking aromas were a bit "different" as the alcohols vaporized, making me wonder whether I'd messed up, but in the end all the flavors really came together and the result was excellent.[p]Bob

• GaWahoo
    Options
    I second the thanks Max. Just Fantastic. Everything as advertised.[p]My one question - how do you get the most meat off the neck - I tried knives, forks, fingers, profanity, you name it. What's the secret? I got a fair amount off but gave up as I began to lose the spirit of the season.[p]Thanks again.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    GaWahoo,
    Definitely profanity! We don't eat the neck, actually. Some things in life aren't worth the effort! :-)
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    if you were paying attention, you'd know that you use the neck meat for the gravy... i find, that after about 8 hours simmering the stock pot that meat basically falls off the bones. . . .i just use my fingers.. .get as much as you can without fighting it. .. then chop it up finely with the gizzars, heart and liver. .