Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket At The Chicken Ranch - The Movie

Options
2»

Comments

• markthewood
    Options
    Hey Spring Chicken,

I like your set-up! How maqny hours did you cook it and at what temp? (dome and internal?)
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Thanks. I planned to cook it about 11 to 12 hours @ 225° grid temp (285° dome temp)using an adjustible rig with the point on top and flat on the bottom. I wanted to take it off about 4:30 and start slicing at 4:44.

But about midnight I said to heck with it and lit the Egg and set the Guru at about 210°. I waited until about 1:15 AM and put the brisket on direct from the frig. I figured the lower temperature would allow me some extra time to get some sleep.

Well, I finally got about an hour's sleep from 7:00 to 8:00 Am only to be awakend to go to the hospital for a scan. I quickly checked the Egg. The point was already at 179° so I took it off, wrapped it in foil and a towel and put it in the cooler.

The flat was just coming out of plateau at 168° so I lowered the Guru to abut 195° and rushed to the hospital. Three hours later the flat was holding steady at 190° and did so for another five hours until I took it off. That's about 15 hours total.

We started slicing shortly afterward.

Next time I'll put it on about 6:00 AM @ 225° grid and take it to 190°.

I just had too much other stuff going on this time.

I thought it was a bit dry but others thought it was good. Did have a nice flavor though.

Spring "Sleep Has Its Limits" Chicken
  • Lake Conroe Egger
    Options
    I held off as long as I could considerin that I had the video camera in my hand! Lucky for me Spring Hen took over for a few minutes and I jumped right in there! It was really good and the rub was perfect. I checked the pantry when I got home and found that I too had a bag of the Texas Wild rub compliments of Village Idiot. I think it will be perfect on beef ribs. Gotta go shopping.

The brisket was wonderful (even had a bite for breakfast) and the movie was once again a masterpiece!

Thanks to you and Hen for a special evening.