Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So Cal EGGfest recap

Options
So Cal EGGhead
So Cal EGGhead Posts: 122
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Holy cow! I picked one of the hottest days of the year....AGAIN! I strategically thought I picked a day towards the beginning of fall and found that it was a true summer day. I am not sure how that happened, but it did and I am sorry.

Although the heat was tough to bear, everyone stuck around and made this EGGfest better than its predecessor.

The recipes were amazing again. Chicken wings, Hungarian sliders, mac and cheese, sweet beef sandwiches, fish tacos, pot roast tacos, taquitos, BBQ chicken pizza, oatmeal and chocolate chip cookies, tri tip, spare ribs, pulled pork snadwiches, bacon wrapped stuffed dates, smoked spam, kalua pork, and baby back ribs. If I left anything out, I am sorry.

I actually forced the family into working the booth this year so I could walk around and sample the food. My personal favorite was a German dish that had pickles in it. I will post the recipe when I can figure out what it was.

I want to thank all of the forum members for their participation, both as cooks and tasters. More importantly I would like to thank my family and staff for all of your hard work. I could not have done this without you.

i will post pictures as soon as I get them this year.

Good music, great food and amazing friends.

Thank you!

Comments

• Grill With Bill
    Options
    Who won the cooking contest?

Bill
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    Shad a big thanks to you and your family for putting on a great event!! I met alot of great eggers!! and new eggers to be.The heat was as expected but with Dale's home brew was quickly quenched.I had the pleasure to cook with some great cokks-the food really rocked this year and the bar is being set high.For all of you that are on the fence this fest is growing fast and always fun-I would love to meet some more next year.My wife and I cooked BBQ chicken mini deep dish and served 240 pieces I"m tired!!
    Met Fluffy and that girl can cook and had the pleasure to cook next to Cactus Doug and his great family(Doug makes a killer wing!!)
    Sorry Doug your wife's cookies stole the show.Will post pics when this hang(headache) over goes away.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • So Cal EGGhead
    Options
    It seems that the simpest of recipes tend to win these events. The winner won by 20 votes yesterday in what I consider a big win.

The winner, Jesse and Leondra Jacobs, prepared a stuffed mushroom. It is a family recipe that he converted over to the EGG after buying a demo last year.

He takes a combination of spicy and mild sausage and smokes it on the EGG in the dutch oven. He dices up some herbs and green onion and blends it all together with cream cheese. He then uses that mixture to stuff the mushrooms and puts them on the EGG for a 30 minute bake/smoke. Just priot to serving I saw him sprinkle parmesan cheese on top. They were darn good.

I failed to mention this in the original post?
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    Shad, thanks for a fantastic day! We met so many great people. You and your family did an outstanding job! I posted a few pics last night before passing out, er, going to bed. The heat didn't bother us at all. Lots of ice cold water & beer took care of it.