Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yet Another Butt Question

Options
mcneguy
mcneguy Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, so you set up your plate setter, put a drip pan under the butt on the grate. My question is what do you do with all that fatty goodness in the drip pan when you're done? Do you pour it back into the meat after you're done pulling it apart or is there less drippings than I think there will be?

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I use it to kill weeds along the fence :whistle:
  • NCSU-Q
    NCSU-Q Posts: 104
    Options
    There will be a good bit of drippings, but the pork will be plenty delicious without it. I have never heard of anyone dumping the drippings back over the top.

Spare your heart and dump it in the trash!!

A good bbq sauce will bring more to the table than dumping a cup of hot fat over the top!
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I defat the collected juice and pour it over the pulled pork. I use a gravy seperator. I am the only egger I know that cooks the pork in the pan to collect the juices.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Can I assume you have the pork in a rack, so that it is above the collected drippings?
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    If you're going to try to save the drippings (I don't with pulled pork, though I will with a turkey or something where you want the juices in a sauce or gravy), be sure to separate the bottom of the drip pan from the hot plate setter to prevent the drippings from burning. You can put the little green feet under it, or just use some balls of tin foil.

-John
  • beerguy
    beerguy Posts: 116
    Options
    I use very large nuts from the hardware store between the plate setter and drip pan. Four per drip pan keeps the drip pans nice and level.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    The initial reason for the pan was because I never had a platesetter for the first 13 years of egg ownership.
    So the pan was the platesetter. No rack either. Just 4 8 lb. butts rubbed up and into the pan they go:

CIMG2838.jpg

CIMG2840.jpg

This one had alot of juice. When you pour it over the pork after pulling, it absorbs back into the meat. I make a very light vinegar based sauce to pour over the meat too.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    I let the collected juices set up in th pan for a day or two, and pitch the whole thing.
  • NotabuttDave
    Options
    I'm with Faith on this one.

Let the juice set up. The fat will come right off. Add a little cider vinegar, a little mustard, a little hot sauce and you are living large.