Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Homemade Liquid Smoke?

Options
Grub Blogger
Grub Blogger Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Not looking to start up the debate on the use of liquid smoke (I like a touch in bbq sauce made from scratch), but I am curious if anyone has tried to make their own. My gut says a pan of water with maybe just hickory burning low at 200 degrees for hours.

Comments

• Liquid smoke is made by washing the smoke off a glass flue, but the claim is that they control the burn to maximize the good flavors and minimize the bad (bitter).

I have made it indirectly. Cold smoking bacon, with the small BGE as the fire chamber connected to the large BGE ( the smoke box) with a corrugated metal dryer vent .

Quite a bit of condensation in the dryer hose and so I captured it for shizznit and giggles. it was horribly bitter.

Better to spend the 89 cents on a bottle of the premade stuff. FWIW, people tend to think it's artificial flavoring. It ain't. It is truly liquid smoke

You won't capture much with a pan of water, not much surface area and then you'd still only have a lot of water and very little smoke. Better to smoke the pan dry and then wash off the smoke. Or maybe a lot if sheets of foil or something. Surface area. But even then, no guarantee
  • Grub Blogger
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. Figured it'd be a pain with sketchy results. Cool to know how it done, though.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Here's how AB does it. It's near the end, about 9:00. Looks like WAY too much trouble!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJfuVl0BBlA

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• reccitron
    Options
    Carolina Q wrote:
    Here's how AB does it. It's near the end, about 9:00. Looks like WAY too much trouble!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJfuVl0BBlA

Yeah I saw Alton do it and thought that was cool but not worth the trouble since you can buy it for around a $1
  • ceramicgrills
    Options
    Cook's Illustrated did a little article on liquid smoke in their grilling issue this year. They made some, by condensing the moist smoke of smoldering wood chips, and the time and effort only produced a small amount. The final verdict from them is to just buy the stuff.