Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cinci Field Trip to Jungle Jims and cookout

Options
PattyO
PattyO Posts: 883
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There seems to be an interest in a group field trip to a wonderful store in the Cincinnati area, Fairfield, OH. www.junglejims.com Amazing place. Over 1400 hot sauces, hundreds of honeys, over an acre of produce (sour oranges for fajitas). 75 international aisles. I go every year, 350 miles from home and worth every mile.
So, who might be interested? This will probably take place in mid October. Of course we'll plan a cookout either at the hotel where our out of towners stay at or a nearby park. There are a few forum members local to the area who can work out the logistics.
For now, who might be interested? Just to get an idea how far to go on this. Any ideas on this get together are welcome. JJs is an event. It takes over three hours to shop there. Bring coolers. The pork is amazing from consigned farms that slaughters is later than the big commercial hog farms. More fat, more flavor. Here I go, and I can't stop crowing about this place that started out as an outdoor produce stand. The American dream. It's Disneyland for foodies.
PattyO

Comments

• eenie meenie
    Options
    PattyO, count me in! I can't remember the last time I went on a field trip. :laugh:
  • PattyO
    Options
    Great. Where are you coming from? Trying to figure out what hotel needs we have. I'm in Beaver Falls, PA. Where the beaver fell down 40 miles NW of Pittsburgh.
    I'll start making a list, checking it twice.
    PattyO
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Patty I am in Dayton, about 45 minutes north and a little bit east of Jungle Jim's. I would offer my home and back yard, but I don't know the condition it will be in after the landscaper plants 14 trees and tears out the back part (finally getting around to repairing damage from Hurricane Ike). Hopefully the Cincy area eggers will have suggestions.
  • Grill Sergeant
    Options
    The Ramada Plaza, Springdale Hotel, 11911 Sheraton Lane is only about five minutes from Jungle Jim's right off of I 275 at route 4. Also Jungles have guided tours for groups which can be arranged at no costs. You can "eat your way" through the store during these tours. A great place, I go there just about every two weeks. I am sure "foodies" would enjoy their trip.
  • PattyO
    Options
    Good idea for the tour if we get anyone who hasn't experienced JJs. Can we count you in?
    PattyO
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Patty, you know I will be there, let me know when you have a resonable headcount and I will see if I can find a hotel in the area that will allow us to set up an egg or two.

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • PattyO
    Options
    When do you think you'll be ready to party? I know you have family obligations coming up. I will be at the DC Metro fest Oct 9, other than that I'm free. Why not scout out hotels now so we know if that's a viable option. I usually stay at Holiday Inn Rt. 4, down the road from JJs. My concern is cooling the eggs, where ever we are. So far I've heard from Grill Sergeant and Eenie Meenie. I have to look at the first post to see who replied there. Do you think we should have a grill fest before or after JJs?
    PattyO
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Mickie is supposed to be able to drive in one month, her surgery is Sept 13th, so she should be up and running by mid Oct. Even if she does not feel up to it I am sure I can get a day pass.
    If we can find a motel that will allow it a late cook out would make sense, the eggs can cool overnight.
    My first stop will be the dealer that is just across the Hwy from JJ's, "Pool Stuff" 5323 Gilmore Rd, Fairfield. I have never been in the place, so it will be a shot in the dark, but mid Oct they might see a bunch of eggers in their parking lot as good for business.
    I know Bitslammer is on board, he lives close to us.

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    We could probably be talked into popping in....depending on my schedule. October is crazy for us.
  • PattyO
    Options
    Let's shoot for Oct 16/17. Unless you think Oct 2/3 wouldn't be too early. Dhuffjr just replied, their schedule is pretty full but hope they can make it. How would you plan the schedule of the weekend? I don't care. I just hope to spend time around the eggs, and of course JJs, and perhaps another lunch or dinner but I don't know which order is best. I wish I'd hear from some other folks traveling. They don't know what they're missing. It would be great to work with Poolstuff. Keep those ideas coming.
    I've been practicing my breads for the fests. Yesterday whole wheat, today DO slow rise no knead. I may take tomorrow off. Beer bread early in the week Challah Thursday to usher in Rosh Hashannah, it's traditional. And I have two flat breads to perfect too. Pita and Naan. This is a lot of fun. Can't wait to meet you all.
    PattyO