Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Cypress Table Question

Options
HoosierDan
HoosierDan Posts: 76
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
OK, so my wife bought me a large BGE during the Eggfest in Louisville a little over a week ago. We upgraded the nest to the small cypress table. I brought the table home, put on a coat of Olympus Maximum redwood stain (to match my deck). The next day the first coat of stain had dried uneven so I added a second coat. Tomorrow will have been a week and the darn thing is still not fully dry. Any tips, ideas? I plan on adding poly once the stain dries.

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    With a heavy coat of stain soaked into the soft cypress it will take a longer time to dry. Not much you can do other than let the sun dry it out. Give it time to dry before applying a top coat, very important.

Congrats on getting an egg! Your going to have a lot of fun. Enjoy! :cheer:
  • HoosierDan
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I'm just too damn anxious to get the egg into its home. I sucked it up and cooked on the egg placed directly on our patio this past Saturday. On the first cook I had fits with regulating the temperature but the ribs, salmon, and corn were a big hit.
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    One thing about the Cypress table make sure you buy some washers and use them on the bolts. Otherwise your table will start to lean as the bolts pull.
  • HoosierDan
    Options
    My table came with washers for the bolts. Are you recommending I add addtional washers?
  • 68rustang
    Options
    Cypress doesn't take stain very well or evenly I should say. I would've tried a wood conditioner first. Did you wipe the excess stain before it dried or did you lay a coat on and let it sit?

The only other thing I'll add is that regular poly usually isn't a good finish for outdoors. Even with UV stabilizers it has a tendency to yellow and flake.