Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Off topic: Recommendations for home fryer.

LostinMiami
LostinMiami Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi guys,

Need some culinary expertise, and you guys are the right group to ask, I am looking for a home fryer to use basically for fries, cheese sticks, chicken wings etc. Since I have seen some of the reviews from the vendors, I decided to ask some actual users. Thanks again.

Best Regards,
Cesar

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Found a high sided thick pot with a temp gadge works best for me. Fill about half full or a little higher and if you have a basket even the better.
    The bought home fryers just do not get hot enough for me. Like fish I want 400 and they (the ones i have had) only get to 375.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• highpress
    highpress Posts: 694
    I've got the probably one of the cheapest models you can get. It's a Frydaddy from wal-mart. It works for what your asking. Kind of messy, you'll get splatter on the counter. We don't use it very often, so that's not a big deal. It's nice to be able to fry food every now and then. It's small so when done we just keep it on top the fridge. If your going to be using it 2 or 3 times a week, i'd probably go with something nicer. This is just a basic pot that heats and holds oil.

Here's a tip: it comes with a plastic cover to seal the unit when not in use. do NOT forgot to remove the cover when you plug it in. When you return 10 mins later your oil will look like a tar pit. Don't ask me how i know this. :laugh:
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Cast Iron Dutch Oven fits this decription to a "T" and is so much more versatile than any single purpose fryer. Just make sure to add the thermometer.
  • highpress
    Mickey,
    you save your oil after you're done cooking with it?
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Cast iron DO and oil.
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Jumping in here...As long as you don't burn something in the oil or reach temps higher than the smoking point specific to the oil you are using, you are good. You can buy a siphon that has a filter to clean the particles out of the oil as well. I reuse oil all the time.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Should but don't on the oil.
    Now if I was going to use it the next couple of days then that is different.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Cesar,

We finally found one that seems to be perfect. It's made by T-fal and is the Emeril model. It has no problem getting the oil to temp in short order. For me, the coolest thing about it is the oil storage container that is integral and the unit will not only empty itself, when cool enough, but filter the oil at the same time. For me that makes all the difference, because I HATED having to deal with the dirty oil, filters, containers, storage...to the point I just never fried anything. It's also stainless and all but the heating element can go in the dishwasher. ;)

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?sku=14289313

Not a bad price either
  • highpress
    I normally save it. That's one of the advantages of using a dedicated fryer... Course you could just pour it in a container if you were using a DO or a pot. I'm to cheap to fill with fresh oil!
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    I use a deep fryer that I got as a wedding present. It was the only thing on the registry that came from William Sonoma. It was something like $300 but it works amazing. I've rused both dial and electric display deep fryers. The ones with electronic displays were you set the temp exactly to were you want it are always nicer.

Check out William Sonoma, they always have cool stuff.
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    i use a huge stock pot( restaurant style)..... don't know how many quarts( sorry).... the high sides prevent the oil from frothing over....keeps the stove clean.... i put about three inches of oil( the sides are about 24 inches high)... i like to jack up the temps to almost flash point before putting in the fries/wings etc.... it soo easy it's sublime..... plus i can use it for other things too...rr
  • ranger ray wrote:
    i use a huge stock pot( restaurant style)..... don't know how many quarts( sorry).... the high sides prevent the oil from frothing over....keeps the stove clean.... i put about three inches of oil( the sides are about 24 inches high)... i like to jack up the temps to almost flash point before putting in the fries/wings etc.... it soo easy it's sublime..... plus i can use it for other things too...rr

Cast iron Dutch Oven with a good thermo!!! That's all you need. Last week America's Test Kitchen had a segment on fryers and basicly said most are CRAP...even the high end ones! I just pour my oil into a wide mouth funel with cheesecloth for the debris. WORKS just great.
  • rosros
    rosros Posts: 408
    Be sure and get a flash fryer. These have super fast recovery rate...so when you dump the cold ingredients into the fryer, the oil temp does not drop too much. This keeps the food from becoming satuated with oil. HSN always has a few.