Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not another lid adjustment question

Options
hizzoner
hizzoner Posts: 182
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm kidding ........ yes it is:

I recently replaced my gasket and noticed that my lid is set back toward the hinge about a quarter inch. I don't recall that it was like this before the replacement, but I don't recall that it wasn't. Anyway, I've now noticed it and it bugs me and think that it sitting this way is going to cause the upper gasket to burn up prematurely.

I have completely taken the bands off, adjested the lid to flush and replaced the bands. WHen I tighten the hinge back down it pulls the lid towards it.

The only way I can see to fix this is to shim the hinge on the bottom so that it pushes the lid forward. Anyone had any luck with this or any other method to correct it?

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    hizzoner

Does it pass the dollar bill test all the way around? Can you send pictures? A quarter of an inch doesn't sound too bad - unless your OCD :whistle: :laugh:
    Kent Madison MS
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    Options
    I just got done fighting this particular problem (I hope). I, like you, had just installed a new gasket (nomex), and noticed the egg got hog jawed. At first it was just a little. It got worse when I did some high temp cooks, pizza and then some bread. It eventually got so bad it pulled back far enough to cause the back to drop a bit when open and rolled up the bottom gasket. I ended up replacing the lower gasket because of it. Reset everything, even undid the springs and reattached them. Made sure the back wasn't too tight thinking that was a contributor. Cooked some more. Did the same thing. Was doing bread (at 450) and it pulled back so far wouldn't even close. I ended up using a screw driver to pull the hinge forward. The top portion of the hinge that looks a little like a reverse "C" was pulling back. I was able to force it forward but ended up ruining the gaskets as they were hot. They just pulled off the egg.

I went to the mother ship to find out what I could do. They said somehow my hinge had become warped or bent. Being the fabulous customer service people they are, they gave me a new hinge assembly and gasket under warranty. I cooked chicken last night (lower temp.. around 300) and as of this writing the hog jawed condition as not replicated itself.

Shimming the hinge is not something you should have to do IMHO.

Of course there are many here that would never have that problem as they don't use gaskets but we won't go there!
  • hizzoner
    hizzoner Posts: 182
    Options
    1/4" offset will put 1/4" of the gasket into the chamber and will cause it to burn up prematurely (I assume).

I too called Egg and they told me the same thing about the warping. I paid shipping and they are sending me new hardware