Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mango Mayo

Options
JCO
JCO Posts: 49
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recently went on vacation to Margarita Island in Venezuela and one of the ladies that sells empanadas on the beach gave me the recipe for a “guasacaca de mango". It wasn’t really a guasacaca as I know it, because it was more of a sauce that she had in a squeeze container. (Guasacaca is kind of a mix between guacamole and pico de gallo, but not spicy made in Vzla and normally added to grilled meats.) This was more like a flavored mayonnaise. We all put it on the empanadas and it was great! Anyway, I’ve made it a couple of times and it comes out fantastic. Here it is:

1 green mango, finely chopped
2 Tbsp finely chopped onion
2 cloves of garlic, freshly minced
1 tsp coarse salt
½ tsp freshly ground pepper
1 handful of chopped cilantro
2 Tbsp oil (approximate)
2 Tbsp mayonnaise (approximate)
Dash of Hot sauce

Put the mango in a blender with the oil and all other ingredients except the mayo. Blend as smooth as possible, then add mayo until you have a nice creamy sauce. Don’t add too much mayo, add a little more oil if needed. Add a couple of drops of hot sauce and more salt to taste.

This works really well on grilled pork loin, on an empanda of course, as a substitute for mayo on a sandwich, in an arepa, well, pretty much anything.

Comments