Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kitchen Aid Mixer

Egg Master 3000
Egg Master 3000 Posts: 323
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife found out last night that she is getting one of those really nice stand mixers as a wedding present from her mom... maybe I can convince her to make me plenty of pizza dough!!! :woohoo:

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Get the meat grinder attachment and you can make the sausage for the pizzas. -RP
  • I have one--it makes AWESOME pizza dough--well worth the $$. I don't have the meat grinder attachment, but I bet that would be great for making some primo hamburger meat.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    the pasta attachment is nice and easy to make. takes about an hour or so to complete, but that's including the 30 minute rest time for the dough.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Lucky you, you're going to love it!
  • Nice! That and the small egg are the two next items on my wish list. We make pizza way too much not to have a good mixer. Have fun!
  • Probably the most used small appliance in the kitchen. I even bought the ice cream attachment.

Just last weekend we made pizza dough for the egg and then while we were eating that pizza we were freezing ice cream in the kitchen aid.

Ahhhh, Heaven!
  • cwmsis
    cwmsis Posts: 16
    I don't have an egg, but I LOVE my Kitchen Aid stand mixer. I hope to have a whole little family of them some day, lol. One is not enough.
  • SmokinJ
    SmokinJ Posts: 220
    I love my kitchenaid grinder.Can't comment on the pasta maker.I don't have one.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I've used the pasta roller and cutters for a little over a year. They do a very good job.
  • Egg Master, that is the best gift you'll get. Mine is over 15 years old & operates flawlessly. The attachments are great too, I have the 3 piece paster roller/cutters & they work like a charm as well, very well made, heavy, they do a great job. Likewise, the meat grinder works well (for small batches anyway, I typically grind 5 pounds of meat at a time, & although the chute is rather small, it works great). The tomato squeezer also works great for small batches of sauce. I recently acquired the veggie slicer/cheese grater, & although I've only used it a handful of times, I can see that it works very well also. Overall a very versatile kitchen tool, enjoy, Marc
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    The grinder works very well unless you are doing several pounds of meat. It is the stuffer that leaves a little to be desired.
  • We grind all our own hamburger and make sausage plus other kitchen duties on our 44 yr old Ka, still going strong B), we have the cast iron meat grinder ...Pete
  • the Kitchen Aid GRINDER is perfectly serviceable for 5 pound batches, even maybe as much as 10# at once.

it's the stuffer that leaves much to desire. two-person job for that, and after doing 5#, everything is getting a little too warm for good sausage.

grinder doing an adequate job.
    06_grind.jpg

i don't know if i'll be upgrading the grinder, frankly. most recipes are written for 5# of sausage. that's more than enough for a wife and some kids, plus a few guests... and it's easy enough to grind 10#, because even if the meat wrams up (the grinder can warm the meat after grinding for 20 minutes or so), you will be chilling the meat again before continuing. so no real harm.

here's my new stuffer, though, totally one-person, and three to even four times as fast as the KA stuffer (if you have the courage to go full blast, which i haven;t yet).

09_stuffer.jpg

10_stuffing.jpg

11_bratwurst_links.jpg

(hey, there are my fairly cheap yet sturdy kitchen shears, which i was mentioning the other day)

the issue with stuffing more than 5# with the KA stuffer attachment is that the stuffer works a lot, the person jamming the meat into it has to work a lot, and it takes long. all this warms the meat, which can cause the fat to 'break'.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    my only complaint with the grinder is with the plates, making a heavy course ground like for chourico is impossible with it. makes a great italian grind and is good for burgers if you use the largest plate they have, havent figured what to use the small plate for, maybe hotdogs
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • recipes i have seen for chourico advise knife chopping, as opposed to grinding, no?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    ive tried it, its alot of work to chop a couple butts, looking at the industrial grinders ive seen some really big plates,3/8 maybe1/2, bet they would work fine. ive seen people double grinding burger in the kitchen aid, its a fairly fine grind with the big plate, double grinding would turn it to mush i would think
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • i did a double grind of brisket for burgers, and yep. was mush. not good.

i don't think the KA could handle bigger (coarser) grinds. that little wheel would bog down on a chunk of butt trying to squeeze out a 3/8" or 1/2" hole.

i think you could logically coarse grind half the meat, and rough chop the other half