Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Permatex Ultra Copper for gasket - Safe?

Options
Mainne
Mainne Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone

Just purchased some Permatex Ultra Copper adhesive for my BGE gasket.

Reading the back of the packaging, I cam across the warning that it contains chemicals known to be carcinogenic.

As you can imagine, I was quite concerned. Once cured, does the Permatex still give off fumes/chemicals that could be problematic?

WOuld be grateful for any advice or thoughts. I know this stuff has been used by many people for their gaskets and wondering whether this has been considered before?

Thanks.f

Comments

• Eggscriber
    Eggscriber Posts: 276
    Options
    Hey, I used the permatex copper on my large BGE years ago. I thought about it briefly and decided to go ahead and use it. The reality is that the permatex is cured and is rather firm when set. There is only a small edge that even faces the inside of the BGE. Plus there is ventilation, so even if the permatex gives off a miniscule amount of a carcinogen, how much will really get on the food and be ingested? Compare this to the known and documented health hazards of consuming fatty, nitrite cured or grilled meat. To me the permatex was really not worth worrying about.

By the way, the permatex copper gasket material works great!
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    Maybe off the subject but are you using it to install a gasket or as the gasket? I am thinking about using it or something like it as a gasket. I know a couple of months ago some one posted on here that they were going to use it as a gasket and it would be nice to see how it worked.
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    Mine is working fine. Applied the Permatex to the bottom half of my egg two months ago and have had it over 800* (unintentionally) three times. I have no worries about safety ... just because it contains minute amounts of a substance doesn't mean that it will become airborn and, if it did, that it would get in the food. I HAVE noticed frequent lightheadness, even euphoria when removing a slab of ribs from the egg! :)
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    I used it to install a Rutland gasket and it works great. You can see a small orange ring if you look closely. No smell or fumes I've ever noticed. It also makes a nice super glue if you let it set over night. It has many uses!
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • Eggscriber
    Eggscriber Posts: 276
    Options
    I have used the Permatex as the gasket...as you can see.

IMG_0266.jpg

This is a photo from last summer and the gasket material looks just as good today! :)
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    What does it actually say on the label? The MSDS for the product does not indicate it is carcinogenic. It only mentions irritation to airway, etc. if exposed. Here's the link: Permatex Ultra Copper MSDS Was it the California Prop. 65 warning? If so, I'd ignore it and read the MSDS produced by the manufacturer.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Magnus Viridis Ovum
    Options
    Exactly - EVERYTHING is a carcinogen according to California Prop 65. The warnings have long ago become meaningless.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Don't know what it says on the outer package, but the tube says uncured stuff is an eye and skin irritant. In case of contact, flush with water for 15 minutes. Get medical attention. If swallowed, do not induce vomiting. If overcome by fumes, get fresh air. No mention of carcinogens.

Guess that means you shouldn't use it as a condiment. :lol:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    you get more toxic fumes in your lungs on a daily basis breathing in the outgassing of the plastics from your car's interior.... your petroleum based carpeting.... filling you car's gas tank... cleaning paint brushes... running the weed wacker... sitting behind that truck in traffic... and daily life in general..... yikes! the egg operates on an updraft.... how the heck would ( if there are any pesky fumes going to attach themselves onto your food???? are you sure cooking over an open fire is the safe thing to do?....( might be pesticides in those chunks of mesquite from mexico???)... "runs with scissors... ranger ray" oh.... btw.... hope you've never heated up a plastic vessel in the microwave.....lol....
  • This exerpt from the MSDS certainly doesn't inspire confidence:

HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION

Toxicity: May cause eye and skin irritation. When this product if exposed to moisture, butanone oxime may be
    formed. May be harmful if swallowed. May irritate lips, gums, tongue, mouth, nose and throat. Note: This
    product does not contain microcyrstalline silica.

Primary Routes of Entry: Eye and skin contact, ingestion, inhalation

Signs and Symptoms of Exposure: Butanone oxime produced during curing is toxic and irritates eyes, nose and throat. Overexposure to the silane may cause coma and respiratory failure
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Right. Overexposure. You aren't going to get that applying the small amount needed to do a gasket, and you won't get that after the adhesive has cured. It's sort of like the silica in the graphite that's in the Rutland gasket. Work in a rock quarry for 20 years and you can have massive damage to your lungs. Use a bit of Rutland Gasket, and you'll never be exposed to enough of it, nor long enough to it.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Fair enough, I just skimmed it. My gasket is still in relatively decent shape so I haven't really looked into it closely. Looks like a good solution from an engineering perspective, I'm just not convinced (admittedly because I haven't really looked into it) from health perspective.

People are generally really bad at assessing risk and putting it in an appropriate context (hence, Exxon Valdez, Katrina disaster, BP etc etc.)
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    If you go down to section 8 of the MSDS, it says that respiratory protection is not needed under normal circumstances. I think this would only be a problem for someone working in a factory using it on an assembly line for long periods of time. If it is going to cause coma and respiratory failure in people using this to make automotive repairs, I think it would be on the label, not in the MSDS.
    The Naked Whiz
  • grillmandan
    Options
    I have used it before, but I find super77 to work better.
  • Not terribly helpful but they say don't - even for indirect contact.

Just got this from Permatex head office:

Many Thanks for your interest in Permatex products
    Permatex products are primarily design for Auto Repairs .. The Ultra Copper Gasket sealant is 100% Silicone which has good chemical and physical resistance (Temp , Max. is 700 F ) .. not design nor certified .. to be in direct contact with food and potable water. It is a very stable Product .. When cured .. it has great chemical resistance to solvents .. This product is not certified Food grade quality .. meaning not to be
    indirect contact

If you have further questions feel free to call Tech. Service at toll-free 1- 877.376-2839.... Thanks again , RAP : (08 / 10 /10)
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I think that last sentence is a typo. As far as I know "indirect contact" is a contradiction of terms. I think it should read "in direct".
    The Naked Whiz
  • You could be right. I just copied and pasted.