Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen

Options
Steelers252006
Steelers252006 Posts: 115
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have used my new splashproof Thermapen (red, baby) twice on filet mignon and burgers. First of all, I notied readings varied wildly even in the same piece of meat just a little bit apart. For example, I pattied all my burgers at one third pound, put them on at the same time, yet one burger at one point read 130 while another was 155? My steaks and burgers came out great, but I was unable to rely on the Thermapen to make this so. What am I doing wrong?? I inserted the thermapen into the top of the meat on both.

And should it make a difference if the meat is over the flame or taken off for a sec as far as the thermometer reading goes? Thanks.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    They are very sensitive and very responsive, so a small change in position may yield a bigger difference than you might expect. Watch the temp change as you slowly press the probe into a piece of meat on the grill.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Steelers252006
    Options
    What is the best place on average to pierce the meat, from the side or top? And I take it you only stick the "end" of the probe into the meat, right? Thank you for your reponses, everybody, very appreciated.
  • h20egg
    h20egg Posts: 168
    Options
    If you're trying to get a temp on a 1/3 # burger, good luck. I'd guess that'd be about 3/8 to 1/2" thick, and if it you're cookin' at 400 then pretty quick you'll have pretty hot meat on the outside, and of course you're curious about what's goin' on in the dead middle. That's pretty tough precision to place the business end (as small as it is) of a thermapen right smack in the middle; off 1/8 of an inch and you could be off 10-20 degrees easy, my guess. So I think you can expect varied results on thinner meats.

In order to minimize the above I try to poke straight in from the side, far enough to escape the perimeter effects. That way I avoid the "Hmmm, am I deep enough for the sensitive part of the tip to be right in the middle?" I suspect that for as long as I live, and cook outside, while I pretty much judge the burger many ways, most folks will detect that there's ONE BURGER THAT ALWAYS HAS A CUT IN THE SIDE!!! I just have to use the visual detection to confirm it's where I want it; and yes, it may spill a little goodness but better than the wife sayin' "ummm, this looks a little too rare for me!"

Anyway, of my assortment of thermometers, I trust the Thermapen above all others.