Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza dough Flour ?

Options
Mully
Mully Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey All
Im going to try Pizza for the first time tonight.
The recipe calls for High glutin flour.All I have is self rising.
Can I use it with good results.I checked the local Giant Eagle and could not find anything that say's high glutin on it..What am i missing here??
Thanks
Mully

Comments

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    Mully, you can do well with plain "all purpose flour", but not self rising. High gluten flour is also often labeled as "bread flour".
    Scott

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Mully,[p]No, I don't think you want to use self-rising flour. It has baking powder added for the rising agent. Yeast is what's generally used in pizza dough to make it rise.[p]King Arthur flours are generally high in gluten. Says so right on their site! :) Here it is:[p][p]King Arthur Flour[/p][p]Also, if you can find it, try adding gluten flour to "regular" flour (not self-rising). Health food groceries are the most likely places, though many other groceries carry Bob's Red Mill products. Here's a link to the product I've used:[p] Bob's Red Mill - Vital Wheat Gluten
  • Mully
    Options
    Hey thanks for the advice !!
    I will take another look at G.Eagle in the gourmet section for King Arthers...or just get plain flour!!
    Mully

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    Mully,
    I use "Better for Bread" flower if I can't find the King Arthur's high glutin kind. Both Pillsbury & Betty Crocker make a "bread" flour that you can find in just about any grocery store. Joe

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    Mully,[p]I agree with others--definately do not use the self rising. King Arthurs bread flour or the company's Sir Lancelot are high gluten, but you should do fine with all purpose. If you want to give you dough some real character mix and knead, put it in an oiled & covered bowl and do the initial rise overnight in the refrigerator.

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Mully,
    Just ignore all the labels they give the different flours, that's all marketing. Look at the nutrition label under protein, the higher the number the higher the protein, gluten, will be in the flour.[p]4 grams is about what most bread flours are and about the highest you'll find in a grocery store. Somewhere around 1 to 2 is cake flour and 2 to 3 is all purpose four.[p]For pizza crust, especially if you're going thin crust, you don't want a high gluten flour because you don't want that much of a rise out of the pizza dough.[p]Try it with high gluten and with AP and let us know what you think is best.

• Jopa
    Jopa Posts: 155
    Options
    Mully,
    I make a lot of pizza and without a doubt the best by far is semolina flour. Look for it in the gourmet, or ethnic isle.I will never use any other again. Best of luck

• Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    Mully, use BREAD FLOUR & Yeast (with an expiery date at least 6 month away)[p]

• Mully
    Options
    Thanks to for your suggestions and know how!!
    Im going to try All purpose and high gluten flour and save the self rising flour for something else!!
    I will let you all know how we made out!!!
    Peperoni anyone???anyone??
    Mully