Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

ABT\'s recipe

AchateAchate Posts: 39
edited 5:25AM in EggHead Forum
Ok, those look fantastic, and also look very easy to make. I'm going to surprise my wife tonight with these.

BUT - I've searched and searched for a recipe here, and can't find it. Is it really just peppers, cream cheese and bacon?

Also, I'm sure it's been asked a thousand (million) times - but what do the letters stand for? Is this going to make me feel as much a dork as when I asked what EVOO stands for?

Comments

• ZippylipZippylip Posts: 4,700
    yea, they really are that easy. That is the basic recipe. You can add anything you want to that, different cheeses, pulled pork, rubs, whatever, it's all good. Atomic buffalo turd by the way. Your wife will love'm
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • EGGRPhEGGRPh Posts: 180
    Achate,
    I made ABT's Friday. I had some pulled pork left over from the 4th of July. I cut the peppers in half took out the seeds and veins, spread the peppers with cream cheese, put some pulled pork on top and wrapped the peppers with some of my homemade bacon. I put them in the BGE at 320 degrees on an elevated rack for 30-40 min. They are fantastic. If you want hotter ABT's leave the veins in. Enjoy.

Stef in Brunswick,Oh.
  • Little ChefLittle Chef Posts: 4,725
    Achate: I like to fill mine with half cream cheese, and half seasoned taco meat. Seriously though, as others have said, you can fill them with whatever tickles your fancy! (cream cheese IMO is mandatory... ;) It's perfect with the flavor of the pepper) Have fun with them, and let us know how they went.
  • ibandaibanda Posts: 551
    So far I have used as a stuffing along with cream cheese:
    Shrimp
    Lil smokey sausages
    Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage (browned first in skillet)
    Beef Chorizo sausage (browned first in a skillet)

All of these have been great. Typically on the egg at 350° for about an hour to 1hr 15 min, indirect heat, with a catch pan for the bacon grease.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • BrokersmokerBrokersmoker Posts: 646
    My wife hates the name, so she calls them my "Egg Poppers" I use cream cheese and mix in some taco meat with it, then stuff the peppers and wrap with bacon. Then watch the magic..........they disappear :P
  • RVHRVH Posts: 523
    They are also pretty good with jelly mixed into the cream cheese...no,really.....
  • Blizzard58Blizzard58 Posts: 35
    I like to add any smoked meat and cream cheese together. I tried filling pepper half way up with smoked meat then the other half with cream cheese. That ended with a hard part and then a soft part in the pepper. I like to mix meat and cream cheese together half and half before stuffing. One other thing I know most people like the hot peppers for this. Because my wife doesn't like hot peppers I stuffed banana peppers and they where awesome too.
  • Blizzard58Blizzard58 Posts: 35
    PS make sure you use rubber gloves. Being a construction worker and having tuff hands I thought the people that supplied the receipts where whimps. The first time I made them no problem. The second time my hands burned so bad I thought I was going to die. I had to soak them in cold water for an hour or so just to barely survive. I will never again make them without rubber gloves. NEVER
  • I just made some tonight with cream cheese mixed with a spicy pepper relish I had in the fridge. I like adding in a chutney or an interesting relish, or chorizo. As Blizzard58 said, you can sub in other peppers (which I do for the kids) but the jalepenos aren't very spicy when the seeds and membrane are removed. Have fun!
  • I just made some tonight with cream cheese mixed with a spicy pepper relish I had in the fridge. I like adding in a chutney or an interesting relish, or chorizo. As Blizzard58 said, you can sub in other peppers (which I do for the kids) but the jalepenos aren't very spicy when the seeds and membrane are removed. Have fun!
  • NC-CDNNC-CDN Posts: 703
    I've done mine with cream cheese, cilantro, lemon juice and topped with bacon. Yummy.