Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Aged Filet Mignon for Friday Dinner!

Options
Grillin & Chillin
Grillin & Chillin Posts: 733
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello All
I cooked a couple aged filet mignon's for our Friday night dinner. Since it was just the wife & I, I fired up the Mini BGE and got her to 700* dome and with Raytek thermal gun, grid was 1096* I dropped the filets on for 7 minutes first side, 7 second flip and 2 more 3rd flip, pulling off at 130 internal according to my Comark PDT300 We let rest undercover for 4 minutes and then ate some of the best filets we ever had (I think the same every time we grill) You may notice the salt, I was given this at our last stay in Amelia Island at the hotel and one was a "butter salt" & the other a "smoked salt" which they call gourmet salts. I also ground fresh black pepper on both sides. Hope you all had a good Friday night dinner in memory of CWM whom enjoyed his last Friday night dinner July 2 a week ago today. In your memory CWM. Keep Grillin & Chillin

2010-07-09%202010-07-09%20001%20002.JPG?psid=1

2010-07-09%202010-07-09%20001%20004.JPG?psid=1 seasoned

2010-07-09%202010-07-09%20001%20007.JPG?psid=1
Notice seam in mini which means pre 1997, had her for 14 years now

2010-07-09%202010-07-09%20001%20010.JPG?psid=1

2010-07-09%202010-07-09%20001%20011.JPG?psid=1
BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997

Comments

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Cool. You started tiny, and worked your way up! I didn't know they made minis in 1996. That's when I bought my large and that was (supposedly) the only size they had.

Nice filets. The mini rocks!

Amelia Island is a favorite. It's in FL, but feels like it's in GA.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Hi Faith
    I bought the small BGE first and then after the BGE addiction, bought the Large and last the Mini for travel and small cooks for 2. All my BGE's are circa 1996-97 Still as passionate as I was about them 14 years ago on my first buy, but even longer cooking on them with family since early 70's. Thanks for comment. Keep Grillin & Chillin!
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Great looking steaks G&C! I did a ribeye a few nights ago and kept it as simple as I could just for the fun of it. I didn't even use salt and pepper. I cooked it on a raised CI grid at about 450º with no extra sear to about 118º internal and let it rest for a few. It was the best steak I have had in a long, long time. It was a great piece of meat to begin with and I am sure that helped. Simple can really be good.

Gator

• Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Thanks G.B.
    Fellow Florida guy. As they say K.I.s.S.
    Keep It Simple Stupid ! Some time simple is better. Just make sure what the simple is, is the best. TGIF !
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    Options
    Yum! Simple is always good. And easy to repeat!
  • CVDSmokeShack
    Options
    Nice job; they look awesome... making me hungry!

CVD
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Nice! Excellent photography as well. :)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    with all due respect filets at 700 for 7 and 7 and 2 sorta tells me your thermometer needs to be re-calibrated. Those should have looked and tasted like lump charcoal for that amount of time.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    That is a nice looking piece of beef!! The mini does not get enough credit,Ilove the sear I can get with mine.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Vol Jack
    Vol Jack Posts: 35
    Options
    RRP wrote:
    with all due respect filets at 700 for 7 and 7 and 2 sorta tells me your thermometer needs to be re-calibrated. Those should have looked and tasted like lump charcoal for that amount of time.

I was thinking the same thing.
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks for the input and taking time to comment. I actually had recalibrated all 3 of my Trend Thermometers the night before and actually started Thursday a thread asking if anyone used the Trend brand that came with the BGE's a decade or so ago before they had their logo thermo's. Another thing is the thermo in photo that I used on this cook was only used 2 times before this cook. I calibrate my thermo's every month or so with boiling water.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    OK - I'm just still surprised at how little char and so much red those steaks have after a combination of 16 minutes on a mini at 700° - mine would have been black like cinders!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • smoky b
    smoky b Posts: 648
    Options
    wow great looking steaks!