Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen

Options
smoker62
smoker62 Posts: 80
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How fast should this take to stabilize? I test it in my hot tub and it is withn 1 degree of the spa readout. I test it in my pool and it is the same 1 degree with my heater display. So it appears to be reading properly. Just for kicks i had some chicken breasts going. I pulled them when I thought they were done by past expierience yet the thermapen read only 125ish. I left one on until the pen read 160 figuring for a little more after cook. The thing was dry as an old corn cob. Obviously way overcooked which I figured. How much before the desired internal do you pull food. Maybe the small size was the factor but I dont know.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    160 is to much for a chicken breast.
    Temp will continue to rise after pulled from grill. How much will depend on the temp you were cooking at. Cooking at 450 will cause internal temp to jump 7-10 degrees after pulled. (could go more)
    Cooking slow at 250 would not change internal temp after pulled as much as the 450 degree cook.
    I would pull a higher temp breast cook at 130-135 knowing it would jump to 140+ at rest. Dark meat I would take to a higher temp. Also on thin pieces like breasts always put probe in at angle to put more of tip in target area.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • smoker62
    Options
    Yeah , my remote guage says to cook to 180 internal but not on a breast obviously.
  • Buckethead
    Buckethead Posts: 285
    Options
    Chicken is not fully cooked until 165.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Some parts of the chicken need to cook to a higher temp than others. A chicken breast alone does not need to reach 165 to be fully cooked. I might take a bone in breast to 150-155 after rest. Boneless I still shoot for 145 after rest. They are always fully cooked.
    I would not shoot low with a poor quality temp guage but I feel very safe with the thermapen at the above temps. If you like 165 thats ok with me as well.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • smoker62
    Options
    Like I said , 165 was dry and chewy. Yuk. :sick:
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Hmm that is a little high for pulling temp off the egg. I go 150-155 and let the rest come up to 160. I tend ot go very rare on most things but like the more tender and juicy breast in that range
    my dark meat I like 180 after rest. not sure I would go the 130 or 140. but that is me. and the safety thing is always a concern also. especially if I am serving others. LC has some great posts on food handling and temp guides if you search her posts.
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    I do my breast at 160.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Do you pull at 160 or shoot for target temp after rest of 160 depending on your cooking temp?
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Photo Egg (and all...)

You can achieve moist breasts and still acheive 165*. It takes some practice though, and not easily achieved at low temp. Carryover is the key, so the faster you drive heat in, the greater the carryover will be. I cook breasts at 375-400* direct, and can get about 8* carryover. I do not pull chicken before 158*, and rest in foil till 165 is reached.

This is a snippet from a post written at Thanksgiving time. If you want to read the whole post, simply search "Food Safety". It is the post titled 'Food Saftey for all of us'. Though this obviously addresses turkey, the same applies to chicken.

There are two major bacterium we must concern ourselves with at Thanksgiving time….Salmonella, and Campylobacter Jejuni. These are the two leading causes of Food borne Illness in the United States. The leading culprit carrying these bacterium is poultry…with an astounding 40-100% of domestic raised poultry carrying C. Jejuni at slaughter (provided by the CDC). The leading cause for contracting C Jejuni among humans is undercooked poultry.

The minimum safe temperature required to eliminate these bacterium in your bird is 165*. I also admit, carryover cooking does occur…so if you are skilled with temperatures and carryover cooking, by all means, cook your bird as you see fit. For others, 165* is the critical temperature that must be reached in the cooking process. If you stuff your bird, the internal temp of 165*F must be achieved throughout the stuffing as well! (As a note, thighs and legs are always better in the 185*+ range….which is part of the challenge to cooking a whole bird without drying out your breast meat. However, even meat that appears undercooked or still pink IS safe to eat as long as the temperature reached at least 165* per the USDA). Also please note, the USDA does not recommend cooking turkey at any temperature less than 325*F to hasten death of bacteria in poultry.

Hope this helps! Keep on Eggin' ;)
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    someone help me out......

it looks like this is a thread about chicken and what temp to pull it, but the title of the thread is "thermapen".
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    The most direct question in the original post was "How much before the desired internal do you pull food."
    Since chicken was his test choice in the original post...you get the idea.
    Solid post but it did get off track a bit.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    thanks for the clarifications. with all the therampen threads lately (mine included), i was wondering if there was something i was missing regarding the pen itself.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Your right. We should always cook to the safe side.
    I should not have posted the lower temps I cook with at my home. I will be more careful.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Thanks for understanding Darian! ;)
  • smoker62
    Options
    Sorry for the confusion. My original thought was maybe my Thermapen was not reacting quick enough. I guess it turned into chicken temps but I think good info was shared either way? :P
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Smoker 62....Sorry, we did kind of hijack your thread to a food safety issue. In response to your original post, there is really no rule on this (carryover cooking) and it is something you will have to learn with time and experimentation. A LOT depends on how large the piece of meat is, and the temp it is being cooked at. The faster you are driving heat in, the higher it will climb when it is pulled off. It will be a trial and error thing for you, but one that can be learned well. As an example...I cooked a 2" thick boneless ribeye tonight. Egg stabilized at 400* before the cook, but I cooked dome open, so the coals were really going good!! When I pulled the steak, it was at 110*....Rested 10 minutes, it was 125* when we sat to eat. Unless you are cooking at a low temp (below 325-350) you can USUALLY count on 7-9* carryover. Sometimes more, sometimes less, so there really is no written rule we can provide. Also, a big piece of meat, say a pork roast or rib roast...they can easily climb 10-20 degrees, depending on the temp being cooked at. The higher the temp, the bigger the meat, the higher the climb. As I posted previously in this thread, I wouldn't pull a chicken breast lower than 158* cooking at 350-400 direct. You should get about 7* climb in those conditions. The problem is not with the thermapen, it will respond accordingly to the temps.
    Sorry we hijacked your thread, but as you said, I think people read some useful information.

Best to you, and Happy Eggin!! Hope this helps! Welcome!
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    What she said...LOL
  • smoker62
    Options
    No problem, I thought the thread went fine. It was a two sided question anyways and it turned into more of what I really wanted to know . Thanks. :laugh:

Little Chef wrote:
    Smoker 62....Sorry, we did kind of hijack your thread to a food safety issue. In response to your original post, there is really no rule on this (carryover cooking) and it is something you will have to learn with time and experimentation. A LOT depends on how large the piece of meat is, and the temp it is being cooked at. The faster you are driving heat in, the higher it will climb when it is pulled off. It will be a trial and error thing for you, but one that can be learned well. As an example...I cooked a 2" thick boneless ribeye tonight. Egg stabilized at 400* before the cook, but I cooked dome open, so the coals were really going good!! When I pulled the steak, it was at 110*....Rested 10 minutes, it was 125* when we sat to eat. Unless you are cooking at a low temp (below 325-350) you can USUALLY count on 7-9* carryover. Sometimes more, sometimes less, so there really is no written rule we can provide. Also, a big piece of meat, say a pork roast or rib roast...they can easily climb 10-20 degrees, depending on the temp being cooked at. The higher the temp, the bigger the meat, the higher the climb. As I posted previously in this thread, I wouldn't pull a chicken breast lower than 158* cooking at 350-400 direct. You should get about 7* climb in those conditions. The problem is not with the thermapen, it will respond accordingly to the temps.
    Sorry we hijacked your thread, but as you said, I think people read some useful information.

Best to you, and Happy Eggin!! Hope this helps! Welcome!
  • reccitron
    reccitron Posts: 176
    Options
    One thing I do is insert the thermapen in from the side of the food. This makes it easier to get a quality reading. On a thin steak or chicken breast it can be too easy to push past the middle and start taking the temp. of the other side. When I first got my thermapen I would purposely slowly push it almost all the way through steaks. It was amazing to see how quickly it would read and start climbing as you went past the center.