Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled pork for the 4th

Options
Achate
Achate Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So like many here, the long weekend means a long slow cook! I've cooked a lot in the egg, but still haven't tried an overnight low and slow. But I've read all the threads in this forum, and feel fine about trying it.

I went to Costco (Sam's club equivalent) and looked at their packs of "Pork Shoulder." I really want to try a Boston cut (or Pork Butt), not a picnic. I asked the butcher, who happened to look about 13, what type of cut was in their packages, and his answer was "Shoulder." Hmmmm, not to helpful. So I explained that I wanted a Boston cut, or a Pork Butt, and he said "We just cut down the shoulder."

Anyway, it's off to my local butchers tomorrow, who I phoned this afternoon and asked about a Pork shoulder, and his answer was "Would you like a bone in Boston, or a Picnic cut, I have many of each". YES! THey are about $2.50 a pound, and I am planning on cooking two big ones, so maybe 7-8 #'s each.

More details later as I start building the fire (naturally with pictures!).

Comments