Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

agonizing over what to cook for the 4th of july...

Options
deepsouth
deepsouth Posts: 1,796
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
it's just going to me me and my wife and the five year old eating..... i'd love to do a bone in ribeye, but the only one i've found weighs about 15-20 lbs. complete overkill for 3 people.

i'm open to suggestions. i've got all day to cook and i can actually get something started saturday evening if i need to do something overnight.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    I am cooking butts and baby back ribs.We will have rice and hash,potato salad and corn on the cob to go with the meat.
    Larry
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Almost any grocery store could cut you a small bone in rib roast. Go for it.
    Start with some apps and then toss on the roast and some baked taters towards the end of your apps. Yum...
    Darian
    PrimeRibMaterials.jpg
    PrimeRibFinal.jpg
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • BigGreenDon
    BigGreenDon Posts: 167
    Options
    Another option would be a Tri-tip. There are very recent instructions for same on the forum. This would be 1.5 to 2.5 lbs. Plenty of meat for one meal for the two adults + 1 kid, and likely sammies the next day.

Cook time would be 2 hours or so...maybe even less.

Don
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    I think I'm slightly aroused!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Darian
    Ok you got us all in trouble with that shot.
    Now tell what you did / time & temp and seasonings.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• pissclams
    pissclams Posts: 49
    Options
    I'm picking up my wagyu packer and bone in butt today.
  • deepsouth
    Options
    Photo Egg wrote:
    Almost any grocery store could cut you a small bone in rib roast. Go for it.
    Start with some apps and then toss on the roast and some baked taters towards the end of your apps. Yum...
    Darian
    PrimeRibMaterials.jpg
    PrimeRibFinal.jpg

that looks awesome. probably could have gone with anything on a whim until you posted this picture. now i've got to go find a store that will cut me one.... not sure why the closest guy down the street is insisting i buy the whole thing.....
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Mickey,
    Small prime rib roasts are super easy.
    Made some small slits in the roast and pushed in the garlic slivers. I like to give them a little crack with the flat blade of a knife to crush the garlic slivers first.
    Very light rub of EVOO and shake with DP "Raising the Steak" and pat on the rest of the chopped garlic. Add a little more good sea salt if you like. DP stuff is mild on salt compared to most.
    Wrap in plastic wrap and leave on counter for an hour or so while you get the Egg going.
    Roast indirect 300-325 for target temp of 120-125.
    Pull and let rest for 20-30 minutes. Had cook to mess up unless you over cook. Some do a high temp sear at start or finish. I did not want to char my garlic.
    I think I talked myself into another this weekend.
    If I do a large one I drop my cook temp down to 250-275 for most of the cook and raise a little at the end. I normally don't sear.
    You can also cut the bones from the roast and tie them back on to make cutting after the cook easy.
    It realy is one very easy cook.
    Take care Mickey,
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I've had a hankering for bone-in pork chops for couple weeks now.....I'm gonna pick some up this weekend......
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Thank you.
    I would love to cook a whole dry aged one.
    We make the large whole ones for family events all the time. They smell so good roasting on the Egg. A little apple and cherry wood...yummy.
    Hope you find a good one.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SmokinFizx
    SmokinFizx Posts: 29
    Options
    Did a Tri-Tip last weekend. The wife likes MedWell so I took it to 140° before resting. Excellent.

Around here (Missouri Ozarks) tri-tip used to be a tosser at the butcher shop and you could snag them for $2/lb. Now they're popular and have shot to around $6/lb. Oh well. I guess I'll just do a brisket this weekend for the gang.
  • deepsouth
    Options
    here's what i found...

7.3 lbs

6276419f.jpg
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Looks great.
    Let us know how it turns out.
    You can always cut it in half and freeze the other half cut into steaks.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • deepsouth
    Options
    Photo Egg wrote:
    Looks great.
    Let us know how it turns out.
    You can always cut it in half and freeze the other half cut into steaks.
    Darian

it doesn't have much marbling, which was a bit disappointing, but the butcher said that was up to the lord..........