Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak Steakhouse lump

Options
Deckhand
Deckhand Posts: 318
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Not impressed. Bought 2 8.8 lb. bags at Menards for $4.44 each. Not a bargain. Smaller than average lump and one bag lasted only 7 hrs (including warm up). One chicken at 350 for an hour and half and ribs at 225 for 5 hrs. Ash box full at end of 2nd cook. Just filled firebox with Frontier. Big chunks...Looks like the Royal Oak sold as BGE lump.
Hope it cooks as good as it looks.

Comments

• danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Options
    I have been using frontier from Sam's, 40# bag, am very happy with it except its hard to handle a 40lb bag. but its the cheapest thing i have found anywhere.
  • 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    I just started on a 40# bag of frontier from Sam's @14.95 I hope it does well so far I'm impressed did a 5hr rib cook yesterday and lots left over
  • JasonATI
    JasonATI Posts: 62
    Options
    I've had good luck with the RO Steakhouse, did a 14 hour at 250 and started at top of fire box and had about a quarter left then another time I did a 350 for 8 hours and have about the same amount left, after filling to the top of fire box.
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Options
    Deckhand wrote:
    Not impressed. Bought 2 8.8 lb. bags at Menards for $4.44 each. Not a bargain. Smaller than average lump and one bag lasted only 7 hrs (including warm up). One chicken at 350 for an hour and half and ribs at 225 for 5 hrs. Ash box full at end of 2nd cook. Just filled firebox with Frontier. Big chunks...Looks like the Royal Oak sold as BGE lump.
    Hope it cooks as good as it looks.

I'm surprised to hear this. I've been using RO Steakhouse, exclusively, for the last 2+ years. For lo & slow's I get 18+ hour burns, with plenty of lump left over. As far as multiple cooks at higher temps, I don't seem to have similar problems.

Maybe just a bad batch? Good luck with the Frontier. Let us know how it works for you.

fc :)
  • evenwhenitsraining
    Options
    Funny because RO manufactures BGE lump. I don't know what the variation "steakhouse" entails.
  • mnwalleye
    mnwalleye Posts: 226
    Options
    The regular RO is better than the steakhouse stuff. I stopped using the steakhouse kind. The pieces are smaller and it sparks worse then any other kind I have used.