Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Storing the BGE outside or in?

Options
rmowrey
rmowrey Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I live in an area that see's -35 degree lows in the winter, with lots of snow and ice, and 105 degree highs in the summer. What is the best way to store the BGE between uses?

Comments

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I have had mine outside in FL for 14 years. I keep it covered when not in use, and it's been fine, hasn't even rusted.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • SeaBassHWD
    SeaBassHWD Posts: 44
    Options
    I just bought a new XL BGE last weekend and currently am storing it in the garage. I'd like to know this question too. Just for some background, my backyard has a lot of spiders! They basically took over my other grill with webs, nests, etc. For a grill I spent $1k on, I'm thinking about keeping it in the garage even though it's such a bi$#*.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Although I don't go through the temp swings you do. I am pretty sure the egg will hold up to it, ask Little Steven and his bunch of Canadian cookers. I have the XL, MED and Mini. Not one of them gets moved from there curent positions. I am a fairly large guy 6'3" 270 lbs but I flat out refuse to move my XL without totally taking it apart. Frankly I don't see the need, I do cover them though.
  • NU2BBQ
    NU2BBQ Posts: 98
    Options
    I live in New Hampshire and mine stays outside year round. In the winter I do cover it to keep it from freezing together but other than that it still looks great. Oh ya I've had it for about 5 years now.

There nothing like firing it up on a cold winters day and having great BBQ.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

118° for a few days mid summer and -28° for a few days mid winter. Sitting in the sun, rain, snow, hail and strong winds at times. Mu large has been out in that for almost 4 years now. All are still nice and green. I never have covered the eggs and they are just fine.

bge_lge_snow.jpg

bge_s_m_snow.jpg

GG
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    I keep mine on a covered porch so it's easy to use in the rain and snow. Never cover it and it is holding up fine. I keep it on the porch due to hail the size of softballs that occurs around here at the drop of a hat. Can't see ceramic takin kindly to that. Windshields certainly dont. :)
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    i've kept my mini in so it wouldn't get stolen and i've left my large out exposed for six plus months with no ill affect.

i cook on my eggs alot. i hear if you leave them outside, uncovered and don't cook on them alot, they can retain moisture and sweat, which i guess could have some effect on your temps, possibly. just guessing on the last part.

my small i just got, i pull in every time i use it and i've decided i'll start pulling my large in all the time as well.

whatever you choose to do, you will be fine.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I keep eggs outside, under Weber kettle covers. Works pretty well, keeps the water out. My mini doesnt have a cover though. The previous owner left it outside for five years without ever firing it up once, and it still looks good. Although, a swarm of hornets started flying out of the fire box the first time I lit it with my mapp torch. Yeah, they didnt make it very far ... :evil:
  • oldfishinglure
    Options
    Mines been outside uncovered since 97...
    www.finandflame.com

www.oldfishinglure.com
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    I've cooked in 105 summers and 5 degrees in winter. Mine lives on my deck, under an EZ Up in summer and with a cover in winter. It doesn't care. It just rocks :-)
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    WRAL-TV Studios
    Temperature 97°F
    Dew Point 75°F
    Relative Humidity 49%
    Heat Index 110°F

That is the current temp. It's going up to 101-103 today. Egg is doing fine out there. LOL. We don't get the cold here in NC. I leave it outside 24/7. I do cover it 90% of the time.
  • rmowrey
    rmowrey Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, I.m going to leave the BGE sit in it's new area of the patio year round.

Thanks again.