Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Olive Oil for searing ?

Options
EggSimon
EggSimon Posts: 422
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello to all,

I often red that searing gives the beef (Tri Tip, Steak i.E.) a nice crust. I have also heard, that olive oil and cosher salt seasoning before searing helps to build that crust.

But now I´m wondering, if olive oil is a good choice ?
Cause it burns at lower temps than other oils.

So, is it a good choice, or should I us another oil, peanut i.e. ?

Comments

• Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    Options
    I haven't yet found an oil with a smoke point higher than grill searing temps. They're all going to burn.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I use peanut oil.It will take higher heats than olive oil.
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    oil is for pan searing usually. you can add a little oil to a steak rthat's going to be seared on a grill, but olive oil is about the worst one to use. frankly, all of them will burn off, but extra virgin olive oil is the least pure, most likely to burn.

i know it's a great sounding thing, and extra virgin olive oil just can't be bad, right? but in tis case, you don't want bitter burnt oil on your steak.

salt it, let the steak sit so that some proteins come to the surface, and sear it that way. after, maybe drizzle a SMALL amount of truffle oil or something.

or even drizzle with olive oil, sure. just not before.

i remember one guy a long while back proclaiming he used extra virgin for everything, including searing. sounded wonderful, just didn't make actual sense when you thought about it.

favorite simple steak to prepare is a strip, salted and seared. then cracked pepper, set on a bed of dressed greens. any 'gravy' that might have come off the steak during the rest is poured over it, the greens wilt a little from the heat. and then a drizzle of truffle oil on the greens and steak, maybe even some parm. Usually some balsamic v. too on the greens

strip.jpg
    Options
    thank god. a voice of reason!

some things sound great on paper, but make little sense in application.

though i oil a steak to be pan seared. grapeseed oil, heck even canola can work.

but grilling? nah. turns to soot.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Dry meat will actually sear better. No oil is needed and a dry surface will give you a better sear.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    just salt and sear. even pan searing i just add salt to the pan instead of the steak, heat it up hot and toss the steak in the hot salted pan.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I think the theories listed for not using it sound pretty good, but have you guys tried it? I use it all of the time and I haven't seen any of the negative theories occur. YMMV.
    Options
    i use a little when pan searing for a little better contact.

au poivre sorta requires it becuase in a way the steak is up high on the pepper, and the oil really fries the steak a bit more than anything, and the oil mellows the pepper.

but you can go dry with a pan sear, sure.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    less smoke in the kitchen without the oil in a pan on the wok burner. kinda important in a tiny kitchen with no stove hood
    fukahwee maine

Options
    my kitchen is tiny too. i do the au poivre outside. hahaha
  • fishlessman
    Options
    try forgetting that you just tossed thai peppers into a hot wok while answering the phone, i near died :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    I use Grape Seed Oil it has a high flash point

Ross
  • EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    Options
    Thanks friends for your reply.

One reason I asked this question is this T-rex methode:

http://houseoffaulkner.com/beeftenderloin2.html

I think T-rex is a guy who knows what he´s doing...

Well, nevermind, I´ll start w/o oil, only kosher salt.
  • Fire Walker
    Fire Walker Posts: 241
    Options
    Salt your steak and place in fridge uncovered a day before the cook. This will dry your meat. pepper just before firing steak.
    FireWalkler