Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not Ribs, Not Brisket, Not Low and Slow...

Options
thebtls
thebtls Posts: 2,300
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, it's not ribs and it's not brisket and it's not low and slow, but we are on a multi-week quest to NOT repeat ANYTHING we make on the egg and build up our recipe file with a lot of new dishes we have never tried before. Tonight however we just could't resist going back to the Paella we discovered just a couple of weekends ago. That original dish was SO huge we decided to cut back (AND use my new smaller Paella Pan - actually a vintage 10" Dansk sister to my 17").

So I pulled out my paella recipe, looked to see what I had on hand, cut the ingredients in half, substituted one or two and BANG. Supper.

PINT SIZED PAELLA

DSC_1650.jpg

The 'Adjusted' INGREDIENTS
½ -3/4 Lb. Boneless, Skinless Thighs (Organic preferred) chopped into bite size pieces
½ Tsp. Turmeric
½ Tsp. - Pimentón
Dash (1/16th Tsp.) Oregano
EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
½ Lb. Mild Italian Sausage (ground)
1 Medium Vidalia onion, chopped
1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
1 Orange Bell Pepper, chopped
10 oz Rice - Yellow Saffron pre-spiced Medium Rick
3/4 Cup Diced Plum or Amoroso Tomato
½ Tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
Garlic to taste 2-3 large Garlic Cloves (Sub: Garlic Onion in season)
3 Cups – Chicken Broth, low sodium
1 Cup – Frozen Broccoli, thawed
½ Cup – Frozen Peas, thawed

DIRECTIONS
1.Preheat Big Green Egg to 400 degrees. If you can’t swing grilling this recipe you can start it on the cook top and finish it in the oven (sacrilegious of course).
2.Add Turmeric, Pimentón, Oregano, salt and pepper to chicken stock and set aside.
3.Heat oil in Pan of Choice (Paella, Iron Skillet, Terracotta, etc) and precook the chicken and sausage then remove and set aside.
4.Sauté the onions and garlic, asparagus and peppers and when just about tender, add the tomatoes, sauté for 3-4 more minute then remove and set aside.
5.Change from direct to indirect setting and add the stock and rice, Paprika, Saffron (if applicable).
6.Stir ONCE and close the lid and sauté for 15 minutes checking the rice for tenderness before adding the remaining ingredients.
7.Add the sausage, chicken and sautéed veggies and peas and stir well and close the lid again for 8-10 minutes of simmering. ; Remove from heat and serve from Paella pan.

Paella defined; a yummy Spanish dish with its classic saffron-yellow rice, brightly colored veggies and combination of seafood and meats. For this recipe I used a small vintage Dansk paella pan for preparation of the down-sized original recipe. This version only serves 2-3.
Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Looks great Tony!! Just my size.
    I'll get that package out this week. Check you email in a few days.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    Got tired of Beef, Ribs, Pork, Spatchcock chicken routine a couple of months ago and thought we would try something different, two times per week until we broke down and cooked some steaks again some night in the future. It has been great fun looking for recipes that are NOT traditional grilling items for now. Flavorful too! Thanks for the package ahead of time too!
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • duchunter
    duchunter Posts: 110
    Options
    Great looking dish, Pallea is one of my favorite dishes to make, I have been to Spain 6 or 7 tiumes and that is the main thing I eat when there!!!

Egg Family: Large and Medium Eggs and a Bradley Smoker