Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Adjustments

Options
Steelers252006
Steelers252006 Posts: 115
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When cooking yesterday I noticed smoke seeping out of the back and sides of my Egg. I was told to make adjustments with the bands going around, loosen the bolts, tap them up or down, push down, and tighten the bolts back. Also, I used the paper test.

The problem is every time I had the thing set well and tight and then tightened the bolts and then lifted my lid again, it would throw everything back out of whack. Every time. Also, I noticed when tightening the bolts on the bands that it made the Egg Dome Lid go a little cockeyed over to the side where the bolts are for the bands. I have it set up okay now, but it's still not tight, tight, and I spent probably two hours today tinkering with it. Would anybody have any suggestions here?

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Same here. I gave up.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Steelers252006
    Options
    Does the creases in the seal inhibit your cooks in any way?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by "creases in the seal". Mine cooks fine. Lo n slo or hot and fast. Holds whatever temp I stabilize at - just has some smoke leaking at the gasket.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Is this an XL? They seem to have more of this type of problem than any other. ;) Sorry, I don't have a solution, but if it is not effecting your cooks, don't worry about it B)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Steelers252006
    Options
    That's what I mean, leaks in the seal, which is a little tiny crease, if you will, where the smoke seeps out. Mine cooks fine, too, so far, but I'd like to correct that if possible.
  • Steelers252006
    Options
    No, it's a medium. I appreciate the response, though.
  • Blizzard58
    Blizzard58 Posts: 35
    Options
    I just put my new xl egg together and all went perfect. I'm not sure if instructions are different for the different size eggs but I know with the xl egg the instructions called for at least 1 inch from top of gasket to band edge. It also said it is better to be slightly over 1 inch verse under. I also made sure by checking this measurement about 6 different places around the egg. I also had the band as snug as possible so it wouldn't more on its own but loose enough to lightly tap to the right measurement. When all seems right tighten slowly checking often. Like I said all went perfect the first time around setting it up this way. As of right now with 3 cooks under my belt I have no leaks what so ever. Hope this helps.