Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you keep ribs ready to eat?

Options
Mud Pig
Mud Pig Posts: 489
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a rather large BBQ planned for this weekend. I am planning on doing a lot of ribs, chicken wings and burgers all on the grill. Now the ribs are going to take several hours so I'll need to pull them to start doing the chicken wings on the grill.

I'm planning on using CarWashMike's 5 hour rib cook method. When I finish them on the grill to move on to chicken wings how should I store the ribs to make sure they are still amazing for 2 hours later when wings and burgers are done?

Thanks,

MP

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

To keep meat and ribs warm after cooking I purchased 2 yards by 52" wide fleece (stadium blanked material) from walmart. I wrap the meat in foil, keeping the aluminum foil seal towards the top so liquids don't spill out, and then wrap in the full 2 yards of material. That much insulation will keep pork butt hot for 4 to 5 hours and I have kept ribs hot to the touch for 1.5 hours and more than warm for 3 hours.

You could also put the wrapped food in a cooler but that won't make much difference other than a sealed place to store the meat.

The other day Bobby-Q was talking about a rib cook and mentioned to heat the ribs for 15 minutes sauce then heat for another 15 minutes. His cook was at 250°. It wasn't clear if the ribs were pulled from the original cook early or not. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

GG
  • jetmac
    jetmac Posts: 34
    Options
    Wrap with aluminum foil, a couple of dish towels and store in a cooler. They will be amazingly about the same temp as when you put them in the cooler. Use the cooler. It does make a difference.
  • antmara
    antmara Posts: 31
    Options
    You can also just line a cooler with foil and put ribs in it. We did this last 4th of July, and they were still burn your fingers hot 5 hours after they came off the smoker.
  • Blizzard58
    Blizzard58 Posts: 35
    Options
    FTC Foil, towel, Cooler. On my old smoker I would cook chicken, ribs, or anything else and I would wrap food with foil, then a towel, then put in a preheated cooler. 3 OR 4 hours later all was just as hot as ever and tender and moist as ever