Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry Aged Ribeye & new gasket

Options
highpress
highpress Posts: 694
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well my father-in-law is visiting, so i decided i would treat him to the last of our 21 day aged ribeye. I must say, I think they were the best ones yet. I lowered my temp while searing, to about 500-550, and i think it turned out much better. Normally i sear steaks at 650, but last time there was too much char. This time they were perfect...

DSCN1752.jpg
Searing...

DSCN1754.jpg
Off the egg, then will go back on to roast at 400

DSCN1760.jpg
Should have taken off about 3 mins earlier... To me this is more "medium" than "medium-rare" which is what i was going for...

DSCN1762.jpg
Your plate.

About 2 weeks ago i put on a rutland gasket... Here's a couple pics..

DSCN1743.jpg
Tools of the trade..(the misc hand tools and hammer are to tighten/readjust bands)

DSCN1736.jpg
Old....

DSCN1739.jpg
CLeaned, using copper scour pad and acetone

DSCN1747.jpg
Almost finished...

Ok so for some reason i forgot to take pics of the finished gasket... :blush: Once the gasket was completely installed I closed the dome lid and let the egg sit for 24hrs so gasket seal would set-up, then lit a 350* for about an hour or two. Also took a torch to gasket to burn off loose fibers. I think the gasket it fantastic...

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Jimmy,
    your dry aged rib eyes look great - I'm now on day 32 of a rib eye sub-primal for which I intend to go 45 days.

BTW - too late now for your gasket, but for sake of those who may follow - you can get a thicker, and wider coverage like this:
    IMG_0383.jpg

by merely compressing or "bunching" it back into itself like this visual:
    IMG_0317.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • toothpick
    toothpick Posts: 154
    Options
    Thanks to you both for posting the pics of the gasket. Ron, I've gotten my Egg all cleaned up, but have yet to get up the courage to slap down the new gasket. I've been cookin' "nekkid" for a couple of weeks. Eager to get it installed.

Oh and that dry aged beef looked awesome. Mmm.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Now that is the perfect exterior for a steak....IMO! I don't care for all the charcoal sear. Nicley done! Hope the FIL enjoyed!! There are a couple gasket posts tonight as well....perhaps you can tag this post to them?
  • highpress
    highpress Posts: 694
    Options
    Ron,
    Allthough the pic doesn't show it, i did exactly what you said. I searched the forum before installing and found your previous posts about bunching up the gasket. When i put the gasket on, i bunched it up so it would cover the entire ceramic part of the egg. Turned out quite well. Maybe i'll try to get a shot of the finished gasket close up. I was kind of sloppy with spreading the silicon, but wasn't too worried about to be honest.