Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

fajitas - grilling directions?

Options
chiefswift
chiefswift Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello Everyone,

I’ve searched through the forum, but am having trouble finding the right temperature/technique for grilling fajitas. Some of the links to the were down and others were just the marinade.

I’ve marinaded the beef sirloin flap overnight in a combination of mojo and zinfandel. I’m using a LRG EGG with the DigiQ & blower setup.

Thanks for revisiting the topic for me :side: ,
Nick

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    From forum member Fidel this has worked for me...very, very good...

For the Marinade :
    5-6 cloves Garlic, minced
    1/2 cup chopped fresh Cilantro
    1 Jalapeno, seeded and diced
    3 juiced Limes
    1/2 cup Canola or Vegetable Oil
    1 Tbls. Onion Powder
    1 Tbls. crushed Red Pepper
    1 Tbls. ground Cumin
    1 Tbls. Black Pepper
    1 Tbls. Ancho Chili Powder
    1 Tbls. Salt
    1 tsp. Kitchen Bouquet (optional)

Combine all ingredients to make the marinade.

Additional Ingredients :
    1.25 to 1.5 pound Flat Iron Steak
    One large Yellow sweet Onion
    One Bell Pepper
    2 Tbls. Butter
    1 Tbls. Canola or Vegetable Oil
    Kosher Salt
    Cumin
    Ancho Chili Powder to taste

Clean the steak of any external fat and silver skin. Soak in the marinade overnight.
    Get the egg to searing temps for the steak. Sear for 90 seconds per side and
    remove, wrap tightly in foil to rest.
    Heat a cast iron skillet direct over the lump for at least 10-15 minutes. As it preheats
    cut the bell pepper and onion into 1/4” thick slices.

Add the butter and oil to the skillet. Once the butter melts and begins to smoke add
    the sliced onions and peppers. Season to taste with cumin, ancho chili powder, and
    kosher salt. Stir occasionally, allowing the vegetable to slightly char on the edges if
    desired. As the vegetables cook to near completion, slice the flat iron steak into 1/4”
    - 1/2” thick slices on a diagonal, trying to cut against the grain as much as
    possible. Add the slices of steak and all the rendered juices to the vegetables. The
    meat will go from very rare to medium rare in just a minute or two. Keep the skillet
    uncovered at all times to allow the juices and liquids from the vegetables to reduce
    as everything cooks.
    Once the steak is cooked to your liking remove from the heat, squeeze 1/2 of a
    fresh lime over the fajitas, and allow to rest and cool for a few minutes.

Serve with warmed flour tortillas and pico de gallo.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I like doing them this way:

Flank Steak Fajitas

flank2.jpg
    The Naked Whiz
  • evenwhenitsraining
    Options
    I'm unfamiliar with what beef sirloin "flap" is . . . however, if it's red meat we have one question: "Low and slow, or hot and fast?" And I'd venture that with beef, unless you're doing a stew or a fatty roast cut, you're definitely going to go with hot and fast. You don't need a digital damper system to do this. Crank the egg up to a good 600 and then sear your beef MR, remove and rest for 10 minutes, then slice thinly AGAINST or CROSS the grain for fajita meat. Dredge the meat (and I'm assuming grilled peppers and onions) in any leftover marinade--fresh marinade that wasn't used to marinate previous to cooking.
  • chiefswift
    Options
    This recipe looks great with a marinade similar to the one I chose.

90 seconds seems like a very short time. The egg must be screaming hot.

I like a nice char on the outside with a medium-rare/medium inside.

Thanks for your response ;) ,
    Nick
  • chiefswift
    Options
    Do you blow the ash off before setting the meat down there?

Nick
  • chiefswift
    Options
    Do you blow the ash off before setting the meat down there?

Nick
    ^I got a little over zealous clicking submit button
  • chiefswift
    Options
    Appreciate the walkthrough.

Sirloin Flap is the meat surrounding the bottom sirloin, and is similar to flank and skirt steak. A couple of butchers have recommended it because it is less fatty than skirt while more tender than flank.
    ...I live in Austin where everyone has their opinions on BBQ and Mexican food ;) .

Thanks again,
    Nick
  • chiefswift
    Options
    Oh, I see, the meat gets added back into the skillet for a minute. Great tip!