Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoked turkey

Options
Sir SmokeAlot
Sir SmokeAlot Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
long time egger, first time poster,

going to do a turkey on monday. wife and I have a fantastic in-house thanksgiving brined turkey recipe and am thinking about taking it outside to the egg for the first time. Need thoughts, recipe links, ideas on what works. Would like to brine but not completely sold on the idea. Might try the Naked Whiz recipe, but looks real involved.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    By Naked Whiz yu referring to the recipe for Mad Max's Turkey? If so, it's not involved at all. Max gives yu step by step instructions to fine tasting bird.

100's have tried it, 100's love it..
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    Brining works well will turkey and will increase the moisture in the meat although may leave a slight salty taste. Make sure you rinse thouroughly once you remove it from the brine solution. I hate to keep harping this and maybe I am nutz :blink: but go very light with the wood chips and would only use a fruit wood. I oversmoked a turkey once and will forevermore refrain from any wood chips/chunks when doing them in the future. That said, the egg produces the best turkey you can imagine and cooking times will be less then suggested on the package due to the egg cooks like a convection oven. Typically when I cook a 13 lb bird it is done in 2 hours when cooking at a 375 dome temp. Good luck!
  • Sir SmokeAlot
    Options
    Thanks folks,

I'm thinking pecan wood
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    What the above said. I always brine my birds and smoke them On difference in the techniques mentioned is that a smoked turkey is not going to produce very good drippings for gravey. Much too smokey in my opiniion. Sure makes a damned good bird though. Either road will lead to a great bird. Enjoy. :)
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :) we've used an old Sunset Mag recipe for many years...first on the old "W" and then on the BGE
    Spatchcock the big guy, then rinse and dry. Set up indirect, add some wood if desired, then apply fresh lime juice and dried oregano all over skin...with the W, we would do this about every 30 minutes...with the BGE, we just did it a couple of times
    Eazy-peazy and very tastee, too B)