Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

waste of money

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i recently purchased the bge ,and so far ,i'm very disappointed,and confused. what is wrong with you eggheads the temps that the owners manual are calling for are baking temps not bbqing or smoking .smoking temp is 225-250,not 350 you are baking at this temp,i.e. bread pies roasts. bbq is done slow and low .itried ribs and they were not falling off the bone done as they should be after 3-1/2 hours.if this is infact abaking tool,then i coukld have done them in my kitchen oven and saved$1100.00. i am going to attempt a brisket tonight, any suggestions from you eggheads on what temp and for how long i should cook a 8 lb brisket and should i use the plate setter or directly on the grill plz any info is appreciated

Comments

• FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    Options
    There's plenty of owners here who smoke at 225.

What temps were you cooking at?
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Hang around and you will not be dissapointed in the results and options allowed. So far this week I have done St louis spares-250 5 hours, chicken thighs and drumsticks-350--seafood paella 350, last night meat loaf 350, rib eyes 600F, egret ham spiral cut 250F. I have 4 BGEs and love them all.
    Besides here in Florida in the summer I do not heat up my kitchen. Welcome to the "CULT"
  • Richard Fl
    Options
  • Unknown
    Options
    I'll give you $500 for it, and you can cut your losses. :)
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    "any info is appreciated"
    hahaha
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Do like Richard says, and hang around here for awhile.
    I don't have the manual, so I don't know what it says, just read, read, and read on this forum. Ask questions, you will get quick responses.

Brisket is a long cook, do a search of the forum for pages and pages regarding brisket cooks on the egg. Here is a tutorial from one of our members on how to cook a brisket on the egg:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

Find an eggfest to go to. You will learn alot about egg cooking at an eggfest.

Good Luck. I know you will enjoy the egg.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    stripstike wrote:
    "any info is appreciated"
    hahaha

lol! excellent!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Richard Fl
    Options
    There you go feeding the trolls just like me. Better get another pomegranate martini to deal with this trauma. Have a fun weekend.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Richard, I am going to make one right now. You have a good weekend, too.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Feed the trolls your loney, that will stop a lot of that. :woohoo: :woohoo:

Mike
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    I'm curious as to why you felt the need to post your rant twice. The only difference I see is that this time you left off what glorious results you *always* achieve with your 'other smoker'.
    - but -
    Such a polite request still deserves a straight up answer.
    Cook using the same temps and methods you have been with your other smoker and you should see similar results. The difference will be less tending, less fuel used, and in most cases a moister finished product.
    As to time; if you’ve been cooking to a timer, you can not have been seeing the consistently good results you allude to. Always cook to temp.
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    We need to get them into the club first.

LONEYSTUFFEDCLAMSDSCN0041.jpgtyoge

Then we can get them started with a LOONEYTINI.

BGELONEYTINITIMEDSCN0038.jpg

We can follow it up with LOONEY STUFFED CLAM Shells.

LONEYSTUFFEDCLAMSDSCN0041.jpg

Next is side dish LOONEY Macaroni. No pics yet

Then the main course.

richard2.jpg

Working on a dessert, any ideas?? LOONEY cheese cake comes to mind!
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    Richard Fl wrote:
    Working on a dessert, any ideas?? LOONEY cheese cake comes to mind!
    Turtle Cake
    I add a cream cheese frosting to mine.

- or -

Apple Caramel Cheesecake
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    TROLL. Be Gone. You have no business here and no reason to return. :angry:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

This BBQ was done at 400° in the egg.

egghfham4.jpg

egghfham2.jpg

I've done bbq chicken at 500° and it turns out this moist in the egg.

chicken3.jpg

"waste of money" - not to me.

GG
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    On someone without the patience to learn how to cook on the most AWESOME cooking vessle know to humankind. :huh: :blink: :)
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    I've never had a problem cooking at 200-250. It's not rocket science. LOL. I'm too shocked to offer any help. What a waste of time for him to post that. Seek advice, not throw your EGG under the bus. Its not the EGG. Trust me.