Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burger flare up

Options
NotabuttDave
NotabuttDave Posts: 181
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put 2 80/20 ground chuck burgers on my large. A generous amount of Weber Gourmet Burger seasonng was on each side. It was 600* using Kingsford Charwood with direct heat. The vent was wide open and nothing on the dome.

The egg was facing east.

The first 4 minutes, there was enough flare up to char the bottom of the pattys. Char to the point it was hard.

After the flip, I closed the bottom vent 1/2. Some flames, but no char after 4 minutes.

The burgers were very juicy and otherwise good.

Was the "wide open" fire the cause of the flare ups?

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Just my 2 cents!!

1) I am not a fan on the Kingsford lump ( it is more prone to flare).

2) 600 degrees is really HOT for burgers. Try 400-450, I think you will have better results
  • boston_stoker
    boston_stoker Posts: 794
    Options
    80/20 has a decent amount of fat, it may have been grease dripping on the coals.
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Just another thought. I don't use the 80/20 stuff. I ask the butcher to double grind a brisket! (he has been more than happy to help)

It has great flavor and seems to cook better as well!

It is also a great way to get to know the staff at your local store. Mine also is happy to make me aware of specials as well.
  • NotabuttDave
    NotabuttDave Posts: 181
    Options
    I've used the 80/20 about 6 times so far. Twice I've had the flare up and charred burger. I'm trying to determine what has been different.

On the previous cooks, I used Wicked Good. But I'm out and I can't get it locally.

I may try reduced heat, or choking down the vent.

As and aside, I didn't let it burp enough and singed my knuckle hair off.

Otherwise, THEY HAVE BEEN THE BEST HAMBURGERS EVER!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    The wide open egg was the reason you burned the burgers. Too much oxygen to the lump allows it to burn pretty much as much as it can.

The grease from the burgers will flare, but not enough to cause burning like you describe in most instances.

Next time shut your vents a bit right when you put the burgers on to kill the flame but maintain the temp. Be sure to burp it when you open the lid or you may get a big flashback. And maybe face it a little more to the South.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    The wide open caused the flare ups. After my egg gets up to temp for burgers. I close the bottom vent. Close the dome to.

Mike
  • FossilPeddler
    Options
    If you are singeing the hair on your arm, the fire hasn't settled down yet.

I agree with the others, you don't need or want the bottom vent open all the way for this. Once the fire is started, close it down half way or to 35 or 40% open and let the temperature stabilize. I don't go over 500 for burgers or steaks, so I let it stabilize at 500 (or 400 or 450 as suggested, those temps work great for burgers too. In fact I often do sliders at 350), and then make sure the smoke is running clear. You should then be able to open the lid slowly, and burping won't even be necessary (although it never hurts).

I only use 80/20 for burgers and don't get nasty flare up.

Also, try using less than a full load of lump. I think it gets to the clean burning stage more quickly and you waste less lump that way.