Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for Tandoori Chicken Recipe

Charcoal Mike
Charcoal Mike Posts: 223
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all -[p]Haven't posted in awhile, but still always lurking and taking notes.[p]I took a trip to Toronto, Canada about a month ago, and the majority of the clients I was working with were Indian. Ate at *several* Indian restaurants, and I have developed quite a fondness for their cuisine. My wife and I ate recently at an Indian restaurant here in town yesterday, and she wants me to try and duplicate the Tandoori Chicken we had while we were there.[p]I have found *many* different recipes on Google, but they all seem to vary a good bit in ingredients and in preparation steps. I am looking to the forum to see if anyone out there has a tried and true method for this type of dish.[p]If you have one, could you please pass it along?[p]Thanks ![p]- Mike

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Charcoal Mike,
    The last time I made this was for a final in culinary school, so it's been a while and I won't even attempt a recipe for you. I remember after making about 10 different versions of this that the key components were marinating for at least 24 hours in a spice induced yogurt mix, which you leave on to cook it, and the extremely high temp required to cook it.[p]Now that I think about it, maybe I'll go check the old notebooks and see if I saved that recipe. I remember it wasn't anything special and I tried several different mixes with a few different curries, so you could probably grab one off the internet and give it a go, and then adjust from there.[p]The other thing that stuck with me from that experience was being pulled away by the pain in the butt instructor from the oven (set at 800 degrees) to go and take a written test. That is the way they tested us, with losts of little surprises like that. Anyway, when I got back to the chicken it was hard crusted and black and smoked the entire kitchen up, and continued to smoke for a good 5 minutes. I was so convinced I had failed my final that I almost threw it away. I figured what the heck, and went ahead and sliced it for presentation. When I pulled at the piece of thigh to move to cut around the joint, it just snapped and the bone crunbled in my fingers. That is how "done" this was. I cut up the rest of the pieces and presented the breast. To my amazement the instructor loved it and said I had hit it just perfectly. I tasted it after he moved on (no I was so sure it was toast I didn't even try it beforehand) and was surprised at how moist it was and how tasty it was.[p]Sorry for the long story, got on a roll there...I'll go look for that recipe now.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    S11_11_9919_27_03.jpg
    <p />Charcoal Mike, check out the link - recipe is posted at the top of the page.

[ul][li]Tandorri Chicken [/ul]
  • RayS
    RayS Posts: 114
    Charcoal Mike,[p]Here is a recipe posted by Tandoori Guy some time ago. I tried it once using a tandoori sauce. I couldn't find any paste or powder anywhere local.[p]RayS[p]
    Tandoori Chicken Drumsticks[p]Ingredients[p]20 chicken drumsticks[p]Juice of 1 Lemon[p]1tsp of salt [p]Marinade[p]4 tbsp Tandoori Paste or powder (Look for Pataks brand)[p]4 tbsp Plain yogurt [p]1 tbsp of olive oil (or melted butter)[p]2 in piece Ginger minced/chopped.[p]1 large jalapeno (2 for extra spicy)[p]1 tsp of tamarind powder (optional for tangy flavor) [p]Method[p]1. Remove the skin. Make two/three deep slits crossways on the meaty parts.[p]2. Apply lemon juice and salt to it and leave it for at least 45 minutes in the refrigerator.[p]3. Meanwhile, make the marinade: combine the Tandoori paste/powder, yoghurt, ginger, jalapenos, and tamarind
    powder. [p]4. Put the chicken and all its accumulated juices into the bowl with the marinade. Rub the marinade into the slits in
    the meat, then cover and refrigerate for 8-24 hours. Use gloves or tongs as the powder has food coloring.[p]5. Cook the chicken drumsticks in the Green Egg at 400F 20 - 25 minutes. Turn it every 5 minutes.[p]Yogurt Mint Chutney[p]4 tbsp of plain yogurt.[p]1 tbsp Cross and Blackwell Mint Sauce (or chopped fresh mint plus salt to taste).[p]Mix to create a yogurt chutney that can be used as a condiment/dipping sauce with Tandoori Chicken or Jeera
    Chicken.[p]Jeera Chicken[p]Ingredients[p]2 lb Chicken Cut into 1in small pieces
    4 tbsp Jeera (Cumin seeds)
    2 tbsp Black Peppercorns
    1/3 cup fresh Ginger [p]1/3 cup fresh Garlic[p]1/3 cup Green Chilies or Jalapenos
    3 medium sized Onions (finely chopped)
    1 Lemons juiced
    1 tsp Salt
    3 tbsp Olive Oil[p]1 cup chopped cilantro[p]Method[p]Apply lemon juice and salt to the chicken pieces and leave it for at least 45 minutes in the refrigerator.
    Roast Cumin seeds and black pepper in a pan and grind well in a blender.
    Mince the ginger, garlic and jalapenos in a blender.
    Marinate the chicken pieces with ground spices; add ginger, garlic and chili paste. Marinate for another 45 minutes
    (or longer).
    Heat the oil in a skillet at high heat in the Green Egg. Add chopped onions and fry till light golden brown. (Note: if
    the skillet is small, cook in two batches).
    Add the marinated chicken and cook on medium high heat. Stir till the chicken becomes tender.
    Put the Green Egg lid down for a couple of minutes. Open lid stir and repeat until chicken is fully cooked.
    Garnish with fresh cilantro.

• Gordo
    Gordo Posts: 23
    Charcoal Mike,
    My parents have spent a lot of time in India and Taiwan and hereis a recipe from my mom from cooking classes that she has taken. I have not tried it, but have not been disapointed with other recipes from the same source.[p]When I make Tandouri Chicken, I typically use a commercial paste that I mix 1-1 with yogurt. Marinate the chicken for 2+ hours and then grill.