Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderloin Price??

BigDaddy - OCT
BigDaddy - OCT Posts: 773
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was at an Asian market in OKC yesterday and their meat/seafood section is awesome. One of the things I found was whole beef tenderloins for $5.99 a pound. We don't see that in Wal-Mart so I didn't know if that was average or a good.

Do I need to make a trip back down to pick some up?

Bruce

Comments

• Thats an excellent price for beef tenderloin. I would buy it Sams club with out it being trimmed for $7.99 a lb. Go to Homeland or Crest and your looking at $14 a lb. Where these in the cryovac packages? And is this the big grocer over in the Asian District just off of classen? I may be making me a tenderloin run if the price is that low!
  • Good, glad to hear the price is good. You have the right area on Classen and I would appreciate a second opinion to make sure I'm reporting it accurately.

I usually go the market that has the big fake palm trees out fron but we ate dinner at the Golden Phoenex ate 2728 N. Classen and the market is right behind it.

Please let me know what you think and I may head back down.

Bruce
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    SWOkla-Jerry Posts: 640
    Hey Bruce that price sounds great. Teresa and I are going to OKC tomorrow and will drop by that store for a look. We always make a run to Byrons Liquor store when we are up in the City.
  • Buckethead
    Buckethead Posts: 285
    Hi Bruce
    I think you will find that this tenderloin will be less than choice. At 5.99 not sure what grade that would be from but in years past it would have been called "utility" cut from dairy or grazing cattle. (or import)
    Hope it turns out ok
    Doug
  • be careful that they aren't 'select'. here, select tenderloin is 3.99 a pound. you might get a couple steaks out of it, or a small roast, but the rest is often good only for tips.

if it's 'choice', then the price is pretty decent
  • Okay, thanks for the input. I'll look forward to Jerry's input when he goes by there but I was afraid it was too good to be true. May still have to try one just for the sake of trying it though.

Bruce
  • McPhreak
    McPhreak Posts: 42
    As buckethead mentioned, this tenderloin is probably select grade or lower. I had the exact same experience as you in an asian grocery store this past weekend. Saw some tenderloin for a similar price and when I went to look for the grade, I only found the USDA inspection stamp on it without any grading. There was very little marbling on any of the cuts of meat, so I'm assuming they are lower quality and didn't bother to buy any of them.
  • Worse case it would be great in a Stroganoff or in a Chinese Stir Fry. But even select it's probably worth doing as a Chateaubriand but don't let the internal get above 125.

Doug
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Did you check the grade? Sams usually has them for around $9 lb. Choice.

Mike
  • tenderloin should have very little to no marbling. Its incredibly lean and tender because its the furthest cut from the hoof and head. If your looking for a good steak with marbling then get a ribeye or strip.