Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE 3 tier rack vs rack from ceramic grill store

Options
RxPusher
RxPusher Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a new egger and have been cooking on it for a couple weeks now. I was wanting to cook more food at a time on my large egg and was wondering if I should go with the 3 tier rack from BGE or one of the setups from the ceramic grill store. Thanks

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I haven't used the BGE version, but couldn't be happier with my adjustable Rig. It has soo much flexability.

I still need a wok though.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    i've yet to use the 3-tier rack i bought. i pulled it out the box and looked at it. it looks like it would be hard to get food in and out of the middle and bottom rack....

also, can it be used to cook indirect?

(it's been almost two years since i've even looked at mine.)
  • Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    Options
    Deepsouth,

Do you have the adjustable 3 tier or the fixed one? The adjustable one can be used to cook indirect and you can take off racks to get more easily at the food (improvements could still be made).

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• deepsouth
    Options
    Chef Charles wrote:
    Deepsouth,

Do you have the adjustable 3 tier or the fixed one? The adjustable one can be used to cook indirect and you can take off racks to get more easily at the food (improvements could still be made).

Tom

it's fixed. i can't remember exactly why, but i remember being disappointed when i opened it. it seems like it was too tall to use indirect.
  • Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    Options
    I have one of those too and I have never used it. I have used the adjustable one on several occasions and like it.

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• deepsouth
    Options
    Chef Charles wrote:
    I have one of those too and I have never used it. I have used the adjustable one on several occasions and like it.

arghhh..... have you even thought of a use for it? if i was handy, i may try to remove the center grate.....
  • RxPusher
    RxPusher Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. It sounds like i need to go with the adjustable rig. Since I bought my egg the best eggcesory by far has been this forum. Thanks for all the information. I'll be sure to post pictures of my next cook.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    You can use it indirect but you have to remove the fire ring, mine came with a 2" fire ring. -RP
  • toothpick
    toothpick Posts: 154
    Options
    My wife gave me the 3 tier BGE ring for Christmas this year. I returned it as soon as I realized how limited it is--I could not do indirect, for example. I bought the adjustible set up and have been very happy with it. For what it's worth I got the rig and the spider along with a 13" stone. I love it.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    RxPusher, I have the adjustable rig and most all that goes with it. I could not be happier! Tim ;)

Here are a couple pic's and this is not how it goes together I just put it in a pile.

000_1844.jpg

000_1839.jpg
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Here is an example of the new three-tier revolving rack in use. You can see that I am only using two but could easily put on a whole lot more food with the third. The top two racks revolve so it is simple to turn food away from a hot spot or whatever. The main rack is sitting on a woo3 which has a 13" stone in it for indirect. The center post has eight pairs of holes, 1/2" apart, for adjusting the level of the upper two racks. CGS accesories are wonderful, but I think this unit is one of the better BGE tools in their lineup
    4603901061_0922c6c4bb_b.jpg

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • ChargerGuy
    ChargerGuy Posts: 357
    Options
    Thanks Capt for showing it in action, I saw it at the local BGE dealer and couldnt get my head around how it would work and now I know. :)