Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sliced or Chopped?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I posted earlier today what I thought was an interesting bit of info on briskets but no one replied and since no one did, let me ask this question: which is better sliced or chopped brisket? Which ever one you prefer , tell me what the internal is to achieve a sliced vs chopped. I assume the internal target temp would be different on one vs the other but maybe not, what do you say???

Comments

• StubbyQ
    StubbyQ Posts: 156
    I'll take a shot at it. [p]The internal is always the same for me. I go to 185° then pull it.
    If you go above 188° the meat tends to dry out.[p]I then separate the point from the flat. I slice the flat and chop the point. [p]Two great BBQ meats from one cooking.

• StubbyQ, I am still very wet behind the years when it comes to BBQ'en and so much of what I have learned lately is from this forum. That seems like a well worth while experiment Sunday when I cook that brisket I got. Thanks

• StubbyQ
    Do you know the difference between the flat and the point? The flat is the long pectrolais muscle. The poijnt is the spinatus muscle. The point lays over the flat, wrapping around from the end of the brisket to the top and gives the brisket the hump shape on one end.[p]When you get through cooking it follow the point from the bottom around to the top and cut it off. Chop it up for chopped BBQ. You should have the flat left which you slice up. Everybody will be happy.[p]Drop by a butcher shop and look at a trimmed brisket and you can get him to explain and point it out for you. It does make a difference in taste.

• StubbyQ, I been workin on this trimmin job fer quite a while and feel purdy confident I can get it right this Sunday. Up till now I been really doing a thorough trim on these whole briskets and not leavin no fat at all on them suckers, kinda like I been gettin my years lowered since becomin such an old man now. Bout the only thing I wasn't screwin up was cut way down into that part that separates the point from the flat. So inuther words, it should be easy as fallin off a log now to just not cut that much fat out that part and leave most all that cap on there, and it should be right, whatchathink...sometimes I mighta sounded in the past like a knowitall but all I really know fer sure is if I follow instruction right on recipes and I get a piece of whatever it is I'm cooking in my trap , I can tell you if it's good or not , cause if'n I ain't nothin else I am a world class, A # 1, eater.

• StubbyQ
    That's what I do. [p]I trim as much fat as I can off being sure to leave about a 1/4" cap on the top flat side. I make a V shape in the side between the flat and the point. [p]It's real easy after you cook it to see it then. [p]I cook mine at 225° with the BBQ Guru. I set the end meat point at 185° cause anything after that just dries it out. [p]A ten pounder takes 12-14 hours. Low and slow. [p]So good it'll make your foot fall a sleep.