Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Perfect Medium Rare Temp?

StubbyQ
StubbyQ Posts: 156
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What do you consider the perfect medium rare temp for steaks?

Comments

• IQ
    IQ Posts: 16
    StubbyQ,
    I pull my steaks at 125°, after a 5 minute rest they are usually 130° which is perfect for us.[p]Lewis

• StubbyQ
    StubbyQ Posts: 156
    That must be sorta rare. I'm looking for hot, pink, juicy center. Most books I've seen say 145° is medium rare and 160° is medium. 130° is rare. Thanks for your input.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    StubbyQ, 160 seems gray and no pink, like well done, 140 seems to be more pink after rest.

• StubbyQ,[p]My family likes medium rare and I pull between 133 and 135. I have not checked the temp after it rests so I don't know the ending temp.
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    primes%20cut.JPG
    <p />StubbyQ,[p]I think around 140 is what you're shooting for after the meat has rested, so maybe pull at 135 or 138. Anywhere from 140 - 145 and you'll probably be happy. When I pull a steak off I often cut it right in half soon after plating because I don't want it to continue to cook in the middle.[p]The picture above shows a prime rib that I pulled at 140 internal and then sliced at about 143 after it had rested for roughly 5 minutes - maybe this will give you an idea of what the 140 - 145 range looks like. If you like it more rare, you want to finish just below the 140 mark.[p]My best advice though: experiment.[p]Cheers,[p]TRex