Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HEY Its 4 o\'clock (Pic Hvy)

Options
'Q Bruddah
'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The party's started!! Its four o'clock and the pork's on.

Here's the Raw stuff...

ButtCookRaws5.jpg

All dressed up pretty...

ButtCookRarintoGo2.jpg

Here's that one lone Hickory chip...

ButtCookHickory.jpg

Loadin' up the good stuff...

ButtCookPrettyasapicture3.jpg

Nailed it...

ButtCookNailedit4.jpg

Time for some iced tea. Ya'll come back now!! Happy have have you along for the ride. Each picture represents something I have learned right here. If its good it will be because of all ya'll.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Our Costco only caries boneless butts, good luck with the cook. -RP
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Options
    Thanks RP, glad to have your support. I got all the pics edited so they all show now.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Shouldn't be shy with that hickory. ;)
    Iced tea? But you said it was four oclock... B)
    That's going to be great!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Options
    Hi, Molly. Its an Elder Ward thing. I can always add more hickory on other cooks. Yeah, iced tea! I have a physical reaction (read allergic) to alcohol even what's in cough syrup. Oh, well.
    So, I put the meat on and it dipped to 200°F. I resisted the 'fiddle urge' I seem to remember that is the right thing to do. The fire was started by my 'Ray Gun' weed burner so I am pretty sure she's not out. No, I didn't peek!!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    $1.39?! I'm jealous! But I'm in the mood so I'm on my way to the store now to spend probably $1.99. Don't care - need a fresh butt!!

I put so much rub on mine, I can't even tell which side has the fat cap! Seriously! But then, some guys don't even USE a rub. As Molly suggested though, you could use another chunk or two of hickory.

248°?? Dude, you're 2° low! :lol:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 'Q Bruddah
    Options
    Michael, I have always been about two degrees low. Hey its okay it dipped, right?
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Good job on the butt and shoulder. I found I like the shoulder better than the butt. Your on a good start. Just think tomorrow around this time you will be fatter than a tick! :woohoo: :P Tim

PS my tea is decaffeinated!
    Clean and sober 16 yrs.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Nice job buddy!! ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    looks really good! I have a 4 pork butt cook coming up! :cheer: :cheer:
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Hi Randy,
    My Costco has not butts out at all, they may have them in the back but not out in the case.

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Options
    BigA, my original plan was for 4 butts but I adjusted it last minute. I want one cook under my belt before pushing the limits. Besides I have only had pulled pork once, I don't remember it being spectacular. Granted, it wasn't hot off the Egg but lets see how this goes first. Thanks for the support. I am anxious to see it in the morning.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Looking forward to the morning for ya!
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Options
    500 Thanks for coming along. I understand that a butt cook is pretty passe for a lot of old timers and only really exciting for the one doing it but... I seem to remember a post awhile back titled I love the smell of smoke in the morning. That's what I am talking about.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    $1.39?! I'm jealous! But I'm in the mood so I'm on my way to the store now to spend probably $1.99. Don't care - need a fresh butt!!

I put so much rub on mine, I can't even tell which side has the fat cap! Seriously! But then, some guys don't even USE a rub. As Molly suggested though, you could use another chunk or two of hickory.

248°?? Dude, you're 2° low! :lol:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BBQbadge
    BBQbadge Posts: 35
    Options

248°?? Dude, you're 2° low!

You need to move down here to pig country (NC). Butt's are almost always on-sale for .99/#. Case price is always .99/# at Sam's Club here. I have 2 ready to go on my egg tomorrow for a great Mother's Day dinner!
  • WhackMaster719
    Options
    That looks like it is going to be good!!! I'm glad to see that my thermometer is not the only one with that dew in the middle.