Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to keep smoke for many hours?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm brand-new to the Egg, just used it the 2nd time last night, LOVE it! The first thing I tried was a brisket for 8h or so, and it was great, but I'd like it even smokier. I'd love to be able to smoke a brisket for 12 hours or even more, but I don't think it's possible to keep the wood smoke going without adding more. But with the Plate Setter in the way, I don't see how adding more wood chunks would be possible, and I can't really picture trying to lift the Plate Setter out of there when it's hot, and then put it back.

Is there a way to keep a LOT of wood smoke going in the BGE for 8 or more hours?

Thanks!

Theo

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    Use wood chunks and place them in with the lump. As the fire burns down it will find them. It also doesn't take too many chunks...3 or 4.
  • Tennisbum
    Tennisbum Posts: 228
    Options
    I second what Tim said. I just distribute my wood chunks around the lump and as it burns down they ignite and burn along with the lump.
    Be sure to put them in different places. Hope this helps.
    gp
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Civil Engineer gave my answer, but with the egg, just because you are not seeing smoke doesn't mean it's not there.

I understand you wanted more smoke taste, but what I guess I'm saying is that you won't need visible smoke the whole cook to get more flavor if you place 3-4 fist-sized chunks dispersed throughout your lump.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I had a large hickory round, about 7-8" dia X approx 2" thick. It lasted for 3 separate 12+ hour butt cooks. Just laid it over the hot spot before putting in PS.
  • Unknown
    Options
    VERY interesting -- thanks! I'll definitely try it! I just hadn't thought even chunks (I've only tried the chips so far -- they were out of chunks at the store) would last for 12 hours, but if it's that simple, I'm delighted!

Thanks again!

Theo
  • Unknown
    Options
    Well that's interesting! The store didn't have chunks of what I supposed were the "right size," but did have some bags of pieces that were so large they looked almost like you'd build a fire from them, not use them for smoke on a charcoal fire. I gather I'm wrong about that.

I'm amazed at all of the helpful and speedy answers -- THANKS to all!

Theo
  • EmandM'sDad
    EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
    Options
    Mix a few chunks(3 or 4) or a handful of chips throughout the lump when you load. As the fire spreads, you hit these little smoke bombs. It doesn't take much...
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Most of the smoke flavor is attained in the first 30-60 minutes of the cook; after that, not much difference. There will be a bit more smoke flavor if the meat is put on cold instead of room temp., but added smoke after about one hour isn't much. The intensity of the smoke relates more to the wood type and the temp of the meat at the start of the cook. You can test these variables by looking at the depth of the smoke ring. Have fun!
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    sorry to be a noodge... The smoke ring may stop forming shortly into the cook, but smoke will flavor meat at any time. if you could smoke the meat for only an hour, and choose to do it at the beginning middle or end, you'd have the same smoke flavor. but the smoke at the beginning would give you the deepest smoke ring.

although the smoke rings stops forming early in the cook, smoke flavor can be added at any time.

hate to keep harping on it. just trying to slowly steer that myth back to shore.
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    I appreciate the steering and agree with the statement. I simply presumed that the smoke was added at the beginning. However, I don't believe that the smoke intensity will be any more after one hour no matter which hour it is applied during the cook. I think I'll test that theory.
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    Theophan--Welcome to the forum and this unique club/family. This is the closest to a virtual cooking school as you can get without paying actual money. All the advice is free but some of it is priceless. To get more out of your egg than you ever imagined stay close to this forum and practice, practice, practice.
    Two suggestions. Register on the forum. Document your cooks with photos. Someone here will step forward to help you post the photos. We like pictures--some of us can't read real good. Unwritten rule, "no pics--it didn't happen"
    It will be fun having you cook with us.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    I really don't think you need to smoke the brisket for that long, may end up with too much smoke flavor. After the meat reaches a certain temp. it doesn't take in any more smoke. But, if you want to have a continous smoke going there's a product called a ProQ smoker. It's fairly inexpensive and it's only 6"x6" and it will smoke for 9 hours. You can adjust it to smoke anywhere from 1 hr. to 9 hrs. depending on how much dust you put in it.
    I bought 2 of them and I know others that have purchased them and they are very happy with the product. One of them being Don Marco who is a very talented forum member, he also competes on the Nat'l BBQ circuit. You might want to email him through the forum. He is very helpful.
    Here's the link.
    http://www.macsbbq.co.uk/CSG.html
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    I've always read that after meat reaches a certain temp, it doesn't take in any more smoke. Thanks for the info. I wish I would've read this before I posted. :(
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I always thought the meat stopped forming a smoke ring when the meat reached an internal of 140.

Mike
  • Kenny 13
    Kenny 13 Posts: 321
    Options
    Car Wash Mike wrote:
    I always thought the meat stopped forming a smoke ring when the meat reached an internal of 140.

Mike

That's correct Mike. The smoke ring will stop forming at 140°. That's why some folks like to make sure the meat is still very cold when they put it in the smoker - takes longer to get to 140°, hopefully resulting in a deeper and more pronounced smoke ring.

However, as already mentioned here, the meat will continue to take on smoke flavor throughout the cook.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    you can mix and match chips, chunks, cherry, oak, mesquite etc til you get what you want. some will scatter hickory chips throughout the lump and add a couple chunks on top. i like a blend of hickory and cherry wood for most cooks and even add a hint of mesquite which has a stronger flavor. with brisket cooks if your doing them fast ive put in big splits of oak from my chordwood pile, much less for a low and slow brisket though :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
    Options
    not the internal temp (deep inside the meat), but the temp of the meat where the smoke ring forms.

put it another way, the smoke ring stops forming when the meat where its forming hits 140,. that takes place early in the cook. many folks confuse the smoke ring with smoke absorption. the smoke never really 'absorbs' into the meat. but the nitric acid formed on the surface does get wicked into the meat and form the smoke ring.

so in time, people have equated the twon, thinking the smoke ring=smoke absorption, and since the ring only forms early (maybe within the first hour os so), the assuption is the flavor stops being added after an hour.

a chunk of meat smoked for an hour might have the same smoke ring as one smoked for ten hours, but the ten hour smoke would have far more smoke flavor.
    Options
    not the "meat" in general. the internal temp means nothing. it's the temperature of the meat located where the smoke ring is.

the smoke ring stops at 140. if the exterior half inch of your meat hits 140, the smoke ring will stop forming. the internal temp could still be 45 degrees at that point. internal doesn't matter. it's where the ring forms that matters.

the only reason "an hour" gets tossed around is because when you put the meat into a 250 degree environment, you have a short window of time before the surface hits 140. is that truly an hour? i don't know. but it's accurate to say that if you don't form the ring early, you won't form one at all.

truth be told, i had a brisket and set of ribs yesterday, neither of which had an appreciable smoke ring. no idea why.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Theophan, I think you got your answers regarding the wood.

Regarding lifting the platesetter out when it's hot, alot of us use high temperature gloves to lift it out. I use the silicone ones that are safe to 700 degrees, though I never would try using them at that high of a temp, they are fine for the low temperature smoking at 250.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Have you been reading my new Smoke Ring Page? Heheee.

I would appreciate coments from any and all on the contents and accuracy of the information. It's been in draft form for a long time (and there is a long list of others....)

Smoke Rings
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Wayne, I have been neglecting to write a reheat up. I have a couple ways and will send them to you in a few days.

Mike
    Options
    i just did a quick perusal but didn't see it.

i remember this being a topic of discussion for a number of years. i used to have a little cartoon movie of one of my smoke-ring rants, but it's long gone.
    Options
    fish, is "chord" wood what they make pianos out of? :laugh:
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Thank you very much, we'll be here all week. BatabatabatabatThwump.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Knock yourself out, but stripsteak is right.. As long as there is smoke in the air it will build up on the meat.

The smoke ring is not actually a "smoke" but a chemical reaction between the nitrate formed by the heat on the rubs. With a box of tender quick and a constant heat source you can produce a smoke ring without the presence of smoke.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    There is a link in my post above..... or it's the very last thing on the recipe page.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
    Options
    heck, don't even need heat really, just the nitrites.

nitrites are what turn ham pink when it's cured. pink ham is nothing more than a smoke ring that goes all the way to the center. ;) and you can do that at fridge temps
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    true, but we are talking about cooking here..
    Options
    i should say the color pink in a ham is nothing more than a quasi smoke ring that goes all the way to the center. the nitrites are doing other things for us when curing, but the color is akin to a smoke ring
    Options
    YEAH. I JUST MEAN TO CLARIFY THAT HEAT ISN'T REQUIRED AT ALL FOR A SMOKE RING. YOU CAN GET A SMOKE RING WHILE COLD SMOKING FOR EXAMPLE. (DAMNED CAPS LOCKk!!!)