Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cutting Brisket

Options
JasonATI
JasonATI Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was at the local grocery store and they had brisket for 5.49 lb, so I went to Sams and they had it for $2.49 a lb but the smallest one was 11 lbs. If I want to cut it into two pieces, where do I want to cut it?

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    so many different "cuts" sold in stores... was it a packer, flat, etc?
    Kent Madison MS
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    You really don't want to cut it. You could cook it all then slice and freeze the portion you won't consume in a few days.

The one at your grocery was so much more per pound because it was trimmed of a good amount of external fat, which on a full packer like you saw at Sam's can add up to 3-4 pounds sometimes. The packers are certainly more forgiving and cook up better in my opinion.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC07775a.jpg

You actually have a couple of choices here. First off, at that weight I'm sure you have a whole one. Briskets are actually two muscles which overlap at about a 30° angle. There is a layer of fat between the muscles. They are called the flat and the point. On the picture above the flat is on the left and the point is on the right. Below the muscles are labeled.

brisketflatpoint-3.jpg

brisketflatpoint-2.jpg

It's sometimes hard to see the natural seam between the two muscles when they are fresh, but with a little estimation, you can find it and separate there. The only problem is that the rear end of most flats tapers pretty thin, and if you separate the point on that 30° line you will have a taper on both ends of the flat.

When I want to trim a whole brisket down, I just pick a line down on the point end of the flat and cut straight down. Usually 2/3's is flat and 1/3 is point with some flat still attached.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • JasonATI
    JasonATI Posts: 62
    Options
    Thats the pic I was looking for, I knew i'd seen one showing two different parts.
    The ones at Sams were 11+lbs and the ones at HyVee were just over 2 lbs.
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    Jason
    get the big cut and cook the whole shabang. I have a large and it is just my wife and I. I will still cook a whole packer brisket. I try to save burnt ends for when I have people over or chili or something. I will then cut the best parts for sandwiches that night and the next day. Any leftovers go into enchilads or something like that, maybe nachos. Then of course you have to feed the neighbors once and awhile. After all you are torturing them with the smells of eggy goodness
    tim