Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do I have to season cast iron griddle?

Options
LoveMyEgg
LoveMyEgg Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just purchased the BGE cast iron grid and half moon griddle. Do I have to season them before using them to cook on? Thanks.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Nope. You'll just burn off the seasoning anyway.

Welcome to the madhouse! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I agree, but for the heck of it I'd wash them in hot water and dry them - after all a foundry can be a pretty filthy place - and no, I'm not a germ freak, but I did work in a foundry for 2 summers!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • LoveMyEgg
    LoveMyEgg Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for the info..I will wash them well :)
  • guzzijason
    guzzijason Posts: 143
    Options
    I wipe mine down with a bit of cooking oil after I'm done cooking to help keep from rusting.

__Jason
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I always season my C.I. cookware. And, if possible, my first cooks with them are with greasy or fatty meats, like bacon. My ultimate goal is to make them "non-stick" and seasoning helps in achieving that goal.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Willie Lump Lump
    Options
    This weeks Americas Test Kitchen had a technique for cooking fish on a grill that was heated to over 650 degrees. They did multiple applications of cooking oil to build up the polymers on the grate.
    I have never had any kind of seasoning take on my CI grate or my griddle. I use them on the spider and they are serious hot when I cook. I think that the high sear that goes on the food lets it release just fine but the multiple layer oil coating looked worth trying.
    I don’t know if it would last between cooks or provide any benefit besides corrosion protection but it seemed easy enough to try.
    It seemed plenty smoky watching them though.
    TTFN WLL
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I was talking about C.I. skillets, griddles, and D.O.'s.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    LOL!! Well now, that's very different!! I was wonderin'......... :lol:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut