Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recipes With Rum

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As some of you know, I likes me rum. I likes it in me Cokes, but rum is also a natural enhancer to foods.

So I've going on a quest to find some really good rum flavored dishes that can be cooked on the Egg. I know they are out there so if you have one please share it with us (namely me).

As a side note, I just learned yesterday that Houston now has its own rum distillery. Yep! Railean rainean.com and it is getting good reviews. My store doesn't have it yet but will soon and I want to be prepared with something other than Coke Zero to try it.

Thanks in advance.

Spring "Sip'n Rum In Rum-'n-Cokeville" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Also a new rum from Austin.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    I didn't know about the rum there but I bought some Dripping Springs Vodka to take to Oklahoma City. Pretty good in our Muddy Blarys.

Hope you are scoot'n around on your crutches a little better. I know it cramps your style but you'll live.

We're looking forward to seeing your 'bubbly self' bad foot and all in Austin.

Spring "Some Crutches Ain't For Walking With" Chicken
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Leroy I love my cubas with Appleton's ...& what about bananas foster?? made from bananas and vanilla ice cream, with the sauce made from butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, dark rum, and banana liqueur.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    DesertFilly's Rum Cake...of which a piece was NOT saved for me at the Eggfest in Oswego...but I DID get the recipe :) ...really need to try making it soon. Sigh, so many recipes, so little time.
  • irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    Hi Leroy,
    I love Rum Babas, light sponge cake, soaked in rum syrup and filled with lightly whipped cream. It's great for the arteries.
    http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1613,155164-254200,00.html

here is one for ribs you can adapt
    http://www.free-gourmet-recipes.com/lagobq13.shtml

I have cooked all these on the egg over the years. I just adapt the recipes to suit, which works for me because I never follow a recipe accurately.
    Greetings from Ireland, Roger
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    have you tried the new rum Cachaca, might pick up a bottle tonight to try it. the only rum i really like is pussers, im hoping this new stuff is light in flavor so i can add to the rum line up. i will drink the captain morgans with eggnog if i run out of brandy or bourbon but that rum has too much of a sweet flavor for my likes
    Cachaca is made straight from the sugar cane instead of molasis so im thinking it has a lighter rum flavor
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Might try substituting rum for the Jacque Daniel in your meatballs.

Chicken Ranch Rumballs :)
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Leroy have you ever tasted Kim's rum cake? -RP
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Strangly enough, I've had bananas foster a few times but have never made it.

Now it's on the Rum Recipes list.

Thanks.

Spring "Bananas And Rum Soaked Chickens Hang In Trees" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I've had one very small piece somewhere, I think, but I've heard so much about it that I've got the try it.

Spring "Dessert From The Desert" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    And I just happen to have some spares I can thaw for the occasion.

Thanks.

Spring "Rib Bone Connected To The Rum Head" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I think that's what we drank when we lived in Florida and our Cokes were made with sugar cane. It was very good.

Thanks for the reminder.

Spring "Sugar Cane Is Mo Gooder Than Sugar Beets" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    We talked about it but never tried it yet. Maybe soon. Those Bourbon Meatballs sure are good though.

Maybe I'll do some Rum Meatballs at the Texas Eggfest.

Spring "Eating Rum And Meat'a Ballas" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I have but as mentioned earlier, I've got to try it when I can remember doing it. Know what I mean???

Spring "Some Things I Don't Remember But Other Things I Just Forget" Chicken
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    im going to look for it. always good to try newe things and i planted a big mint garden last year that looks to be coming back thick this year B) rum raisin sauce for ham is good
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I have added rum to baked beans for a different flavor. It was good!

Here's one that I tried last fall when smoking White Fish and I think it would be good with chicken too.
    I made a Coconut - Rum Marinade using:
    2 C. coconut milk
    1/2 C. rum
    1/4 C. lime juice
    2 T. brown sugar
    1/4 C. oil
    Fish filets were added to a 2 gal. zip lock and marinade for about two hours.
    Smoked / baked the fillets indirect at 275 F.
    Cooked up the remaining marinade as a sauce.

And here are a couple of ideas...Maybe worth a try!
    Bread pudding.
    Citrus - Rum Glaze for chicken or pork.
    Braising with rum.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    I can certainly live with those ideas. Thanks.

Spring "The List Grows Longer" Chicken
  • Willie Lump Lump
    Options
    I have used this on Alton's lime tenderloin and give it a thumbs up. The recipe is for ribs but I'm a traditionalist for my sauce on ribs but if you like rum you may want to try it.
    http://www.kitchenwindow.com/H_RecipeGrillmasterRibs.asp