Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trouble with XL lid opening and closing

cigarstock
cigarstock Posts: 61
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When I get the XL Egg going and the almost just when the "cook" is ready, sometimes I have one heck of a time opening the egg as it is "whopperjawed" as my wife says. Tonight it was horrible. I am/was ready to throw the SOB away as it would only open 4-6 inches. My daughter's boyfriend took a picture with his cell phone. Anyone have this problem..if so, how did you repair it?
I love the Egg 80% of the time. The 20% is when the sap sucker won't open or close correctly.

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Yep..I like peanut butter on my toast to....if you care to ask that again in something remotely resembles english..I would be glad to offer my assistance.and I do own an XL..but your post is all in tongues...
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Sounds to me like it was assembled incorrectly.Did you buy it preassembled or assemble it yourself?Have you told the dealer you bought it from about this problem? :huh:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Sounds like your hinge assembly is either put together incorrectly or something in one or both of the hinges is overly tight.
  • Do you have a cart or nest? If a cart, see if the hinge is striking the counter top. If so, raise the egg with shims until you get proper clearance when opening the lid. If that doesn't work, re-assemble the hinge unit following the directions to the letter. Good luck.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    I have had that same problem. It was awhile ago and it was definitely something with the hinge. As the egg gets hot the dome and base bands expand, causing this binding. I think I loosened the hinge cinch bolt nuts to allow for the expansion then tightened them once the egg was at temp. Try that and let us know how it turns out.
  • An XL next to us at the OKC Eggfest had this problem and Photo Egg correctly diagnosed that the nuts on the hinge seem to self-tighten over time so a quick loosening of the nut fixed the problem.

Hope that works for you.

Bruce
  • THANKS for the help. I did have a glass or two of scotch after supper as I was so pissed.