Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deep-Frying

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For those who indulge, do you reuse oil? I fried battered chicken in peanut oil yesterday and strained it (oil) through cheese cloth to store in the fridge for a subsequent chicken fry. The oil is dark in color (akin to molasses) but with only a tinge of odor (definitely not offensive) that might tell it was used for frying. I've searched the Net for answers with varying results. My questions are... is the color of the oil significant?; should it be refrigerated?; will contaminates be destroyed in subsequent re-heatings?; and, even @ about 16 bucks/gallon, is it worth it for casual frying? One common result in my research was that the smoke-point of oil reduces with each use. It seems that many restaurants filter their oil daily, but only change it once a week. Some employees reported that the food starts to take on a 'strange' flavor after 5-6 days...
Watcha think?

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Mello Yellow,

I generally use the cottonseed oil that Bass Pro carries and dispose of it. You can re-use but it takes up a lot if fridge/freezer space.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I appreciate your input.. Are you using it commercially?

Thank you, MY
  • Little Steven
    No,

Just for turkeys but I don't do them very often anymore cause the egg produces better.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• you don't need to store it in the fridge, believe it or not....
  • Little Steven
    I've heard that but just can't bring myself to do it for long periods of time. It would have a substantial amount of turkey fat in it.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BUILDER
    BUILDER Posts: 45
    I just strained some last week myself. I put in 3 gallons of oil for the fryer but only saved 2. That was my big fryer I use for Turkeys. I then reused the oil in my smaller fryer for wings. It was just fine although I don't think I'll be getting many more uses out of it before having to change the oil in the small fryer. I have read that in a small fryer to add a few slices of ginger in the hot oil to remove any odors. I haven't tried that yet though. Good luck.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    I don't deep fry much anymore - just in a Fry Baby when I do - OTOH I do strain that oil and use it for the oil and napkin lighting trick. Just store it in the closet in a couple old squirt type catsup bottles.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I have used peanut oil for many years mostly in a wok or baby fryer. Years ago a chinese chef introduced me to the method of straining the solids out and storing in dark closet or frig. When using it the next time I add some new. peanut oil is known for its higher heating temp and usually does not retain a flavor. Careful not to burn the items being cooked as the black, burnt flavor is hard to get rid of. Ruined a batch once by over cooking fried oysters, but works for me.