Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PIZZA AGAIN !

Options
SmokinGuitarPlayer
SmokinGuitarPlayer Posts: 698
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In my efforts to find the perfect Pizza " formula " to bake pizza on the Egg at a "non nuclear" temperature ... here's yesterday's efforts (experiment?).

Caputo flour
60% hydration
Neopolitan dough, no oil or sugar.
Heated the egg to 650 for 1 hour, then inserted the platesetter and stone and little feet. When stone hit 500 I started throwing them on. Pies baked in 4 to 5 minutes. Good results with no burned bottoms this time.

IMG_4311.jpg

IMG_4313.jpg

IMG_4316.jpg

IMG_4318.jpg

IMG_4320.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

pies were mostly just sauce ., cheese etc. but one had sauteed mushrooms and onions ... I think I'm starting to get the hang of this without toasting my gasket or arm hairs.
FB/SGP
Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Fred,

Very nice! The dough looks almost like calabrese bread. I don't know what capputo flour is though.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Cali Fireman
    Options
    Looks very good!!!!
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Google... COol and here I Keep Websters on the arm of the couch! Who duh thunk it????
  • FossilPeddler
    Options
    This looks great, and I have a lot of questions about the details of the cook. I've been making that style of dough and have had trouble getting the top of the pizza to cook by the time the crust is ready.

Looks as though your setup is platesetter legs down with the little feet and then a stone, right? What is the diameter of the stone?

Is the reason to take the egg to 650 for an hour before putting in the platesetter and stone so that the top dome will be hot enough to be a true reflective heat source from above?

It has to be challenging to put the platesetter into a blazing hot egg!

Is the daisy wheel wide open during the cook?

What do you mean "when the stone hits 500"? Do you mean dome temp, after putting the platesetter and stone in, or do you have an infrared thermometer?

How long would you say it takes to get to 500?

What kind of charcoal do you typically use, and do you fill it all the way up?

About how long does it take to cook the pizza?

Thanks so much,

FossilPeddler
  • FossilPeddler
    Options
    This looks great, and I have a lot of questions about the details of the cook. I've been making that style of dough and have had trouble getting the top of the pizza to cook by the time the crust is ready.

Looks as though your setup is platesetter legs down with the little feet and then a stone, right? What is the diameter of the stone?

Is the reason to take the egg to 650 for an hour before putting in the platesetter and stone so that the top dome will be hot enough to be a true reflective heat source from above?

It has to be challenging to put the platesetter into a blazing hot egg!

Is the daisy wheel wide open during the cook?

What do you mean "when the stone hits 500"? Do you mean dome temp, after putting the platesetter and stone in, or do you have an infrared thermometer?

How long would you say it takes to get to 500?

What kind of charcoal do you typically use, and do you fill it all the way up?

About how long does it take to cook the pizza?

Thanks so much,

FossilPeddler
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Not to step on Fred's toes, but if your top isn't keeping pace with the bottom of the pie, try to raise your stone an inch or two higher in the dome and you'll have better luck.
  • Large Marge
    Large Marge Posts: 404
    Options
    nice info on Caputo flour, thx. I really like how light the pies come out, and it's true- if you make the pizza dough properly you get a very "formable" dough that presses out in one effort without snapping back, no stretching or tossing necessary.

I had good luck last time going without plate setter, dome at 450.
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    I'll try to answer all your questions.

Setup is platesetter legs down, 3 little feet, 14" stone on top of that.

This setup I first saw on this forum years ago and I always seem to come back to it. you would not believe all the things we have tried ...stacking things to the top of the dome, using an XL with various "arrangements" inside, multiple stones, different stone materials, aluminum baking pans on top of pizza (like when we bake the artisan bread), platesetter leg's up, platesetter with legs broken off so no legs at all,etc. etc. etc.

But I still think this setup works best under most conditions.
    "Egg at 650 for an hour"

I have been experimenting for 2 years and my latest thinking is that you need to "charge" the dome with a lot of heat so you get the radiant heat to cook the top of the pie. We have experimented with raising the stone in the dome but had sketchy results ...this "dome pre-heat" seems to work pretty good.
    Putting a cold platesetter into a 650 degree egg is childs play after I have been doing it at over 800 degrees a bunch of times .. you just need good gloves ...a real challenge is taking it out to "reload" when it's hot.
    No daisy wheel on at all on yesterdays cook ... with the platesetter in ..the Large Egg just "settled" around 650 (bottom wide open)...each cook is different.
    My personal egg gets up to high temp very fast ..maybe 10 to 15 minutes but that is with that lump that has the huge pieces which allow a lot of air through. If you want to know what lump, email me off list.
    "when the stone hits 500" ... If you get serious about this pizza thing on the Egg, you need a IR thermometer to read the stone because if you leave it in there a little too long, it gets too hot and every pizza will be burned on the bottom and not done on top in seconds. They are very cheap nowadays, email me if you want more info on these.
    What kind of charcoal ..... email me off list and I'll show you which one I use for the high heat. One word about charcoal for high heat ... you burn a LOT of charcoal in short times so I overfill the egg, allow it to burn down and then the egg is ready and I insert the platesetter etc. and "go". If you use charcoal that isn't dense and long-lasting, you blow through before you get to bake the pizzas!
    One thing, the stuff that I use (and many premium brands) get very "sparky" at high temps ....I just leave it alone and after a while, the sparking stops and then you have a really good hot fire in there)
    Pies at 650 yesterday took 4 to 5 minutes. The shorter the better for crust / flavor / etc. "Official" Neopolitan pies should cook in 90 seconds at 905 degrees in a wood fired oven but I am trying to come up with a reliable/reproduceable method for under 700.

One thing, I am experimenting with a couple of "gadgets" I have had made to try to get the top to cook as fast as the bottom and I an having pretty decent results with one of them ... stand by.
    FB/SGP
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    Caputo flour is the only "approved" flour to make "official" Neopolitan pizza. Things are very political in Italy they are the only "approved" flour. It is good stuff , especially for pizza. I use the stuff in the blue bag that says "Pizzeria" on it. If you want more info, email me.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Great looking pies Fred!!!
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Options
    Pizza looks great! I stopped by your store on wed to pick up some supplies...thermapen, digiQII probe, and 4 dizzy pig. You have a great place there, stocked to the rafters with great stuff. I was on the run otherwise I would have looked you up....next time B)
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    Sorry I missed you. If I'm at work , you can find me in "the back" just come back and get me and say hi.
    FB/SGP
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    thanks Bob
  • aturco
    aturco Posts: 55
    Options
    I have a bag of 00 flour at home waiting to be used, do you have the measurements for the dough you used?
  • Mark0525
    Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
    Options
    That's fantastic looking pizza. Is the secrete the dough?
  • chrono
    chrono Posts: 177
    Options
    Wow, that looks awesome! Do you use yeast or a sourdough starter? Any chance you could share your recipe. I've tried a few but my pies are nothing close to this. I probably need to get this flour. Oh, that looks so good ..
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    there isn't really a secret ,making great pizza on the egg is easy. If you haven't tried it, start with store-bought dough or you can make dough easily. The Italian (caputo) flour is really great, especially for the higher temps used to bake pizza on the egg.
    fb/sgp
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    Chrono, the dough recipe is out of Peter Reinhart's book ..(email off list for specifics). the Italian (Caputo) flour is highly recommended, makes a great crust. If you want to see how to get it, email me off list.

Also, if you haven't seen it , I have a pretty cool pizza video on my website, especially if you like seeing a egg with a lot of flames in action ..I think it's called "Pizza on Egg" email to me for a link if you can't find it and want to watch it.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    the pie looks outstanding as usual, you are making that at Walford no :whistle: ? Yea, gonna go ahead & need to eat a piece of 9 of that... I may stop in to see you on Monday this week, provided I can talk boss hogg into meeting me for lunch
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    Zip ... no pizza at waldorf...making burgers I think or maybe something more interesting....We will be doing a pizza-on-egg demo session / class at our Eggfest on May 15th. Are you coming to cook? Here's your personal invitation.
    FB/SGP
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Hmmmmph, I'll have to pencil that one in, will lower case william be in attendance, sporting a porkgasm perhaps?
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    I just put the dough recipe etc. on my website under "recipes and cooking" if you want a link, email to me please and I'll be happy to send it.
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    I'm hoping all of you come and cook. Special invite to the Eggheads on this forum! FB
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    That's just gorgeous! And me just about out of Caputo and only using it blended with high gluten thus far...

Michelle
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    I have tried blending the caputo with other flour and that seems to work good also. We just started getting in the "Pizzeria" flour which Tony Gemignani told me was the ONLY thing to use. I bring it in by the pallet! We go through a good bit of it, customers ordering from all over the place. It gets expensive but worth it I guess.
    FB/SGP