Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No Fire Ring versus Spider

Options
boston_stoker
boston_stoker Posts: 794
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,

To me the Spider seems to provide no benefit. It seems to be the same as just putting your grill grid on top of the fire box instead of the fire ring, with may be the exception of using a wok.

Am I missing something?

Comments

• Memphistide
    Memphistide Posts: 207
    Options
    I dont think there is a grate that will fit that size
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Hi Boston Stoker,

There are alot of benefits. Here are a four benefits for me. :

1) You can use the spider for a sear then later move your steaks up for cooking to desired temp. I also use an Adjustable rig to bring it even higher.

2) I've used the stoker several times with a small pizza stone and a round drip pan and then was able to fit 4 8.5lb Pork Butts up above. I used my stoker on that.

3) Wok - you said it not me.

4) Pulling your fire ring in an out over and over seems to be a bit of a pain (and a real pain if hot). To me throwing in a 1/4lb spider is a bit easier and very little risk to break your fire ring.

You'll have to decide whether the Cost:Benefit is worth it for your personal needs. It was for me. I have one for each of my large eggs.

Best of luck.
  • Willie Lump Lump
    Options
    I do six different cooks with my spider at higher temps and use it as an indirect piece holder for low temps.
    The high temp use is a medium cast iron grate in the down or the inverted position. (thats two) I like to do a reverse sear a lot so I do raised grid with the CI as the indirect piece bringing the meat to about 130 degrees removing the adjustable (takes just a second) then opening the air and getting the CI to high temp to sear (thats three).I counts again because of the CI being used as an indirect piece, plus I like to put a little chunk of wood on to give my tri tip a little smoke. If you haven't tried a reverse sear on a bigger chunk of meat and you like your meat medium this is the way to go.
    Using a CI griddle high or low (low is for the best sliders ever nice and crispy).
    Last is the Wok.
    Getting the spider and adjustable rig gives me a bunch of versatility. I have gotten to many egg toys but this is one that is very usefully and I consider of good value.
    TTFN WLL