Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally tried the TRex method for a steak

Deetwood
Deetwood Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Actually my first steak on the egg. I usually do the 500 degree iron skillet method in the oven but finally tried the TRex method.[p]Wow. What an excellent steak paid 15 bucks for a 1.5 pound Ribeye. After the the sear when I went to put the steak on the plate and I dropped the sucker on the concrete....Did I throw it out heck no, even though there had to be some Roundup residue floating around. [p]Anyway, after 20 minutes I put if back on for 6 minutes per side and I must say it was the best steak I've ever had/or cooked. And I buy whole tendorloins two at a time, so I've cooked a ton of steaks.[p]It was excellent. Thanks TRex for the method and many thanks to Whiz for hosting.

Comments

• Deetwood,
    ahhhh, another religious convert!!. . .welcome to the cult. . .heeee. . .if you like buying whole tenderloins, go to www.dizzypigbbq.com, and go to the recipes sections. . .there you will see what i do with whole tenderloins and specifically how i do a tenderloin roast in the trex method. .. .its really good, and combines the cast iron skillet method as well. . .[p]also if you like how a cast iron skillet sears a steak. . follow trex method, but stick a cast iron skillet in your egg, let it heat up to 750, then sear your steak in it. ..after the 90 seconds per side, pull the steak and the skillet and finish trex in the normal method. . .you won't be sorry. . ..

• Ray
    Ray Posts: 59
    Deetwood,
    Under extraordinary circumstances the "5 Second Rule" gets an automatic 5 second extension. This case qualified.

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Deetwood,
    I bet the ants are happy!

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Deetwood,[p]I had a minor "falling incident" with my tuna steak last night...went to open the sliding glass door and voila my tuna slides right off the plate.[p]I picked mine up and we ate it too. No way I was throwing away $14.99/lb tuna when it was only there a couple of seconds![p]Tonia
    :~)[p]

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    QBabe,[p]I'm a firm believer in the 5 second rule, which dictates that as long as food is not on ground for more than 5 seconds, you're OK to eat it. Or is that 10 seconds? I think it depends on how many beers I've had at that point. Also, of course, there are extenuating circumstances which alter that rule. Like $15/pound meat extending the tolerance for amount of time on floor. Or, a particularly nasty floor decreasing the tolerance for time on floor.[p]It's a science, I tells 'ya...[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    It's usually a race with the dog whenever something edible is dropped around here . . . and he never takes more than 10 seconds.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    BamaBob,[p]Ditto! It was the look in the dogs eyes that made me realize I'd dropped it, LOL! [p]Tonia
    :~)

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Deetwood,[p]Glad you liked the results. [p]Beers and concrete steaks,[p]TRex