Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beets and halibut

Options
kip stabone
kip stabone Posts: 51
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Getting ready to do some beets and halibut any thoughts on the beets? Thanks

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is one that might help.

Beets, Balsamic Glazed, & Sweet Potatoes W/Pineapple

I combined several recipes and added a couple of my own ideas and came up with this recipe! It’s a great healthy side to turkey and pork! Even if your memories of beets are those canned or pickled versions and your lip furls at the thought… Try these! I promise you’ll be pleasantly surprised… not to mention a adding a great source of calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, vitamin C, thiamin, riboflavin, vitamin A and vitamin K. Now that’s healthy!Here's my recipe with a few variations at the end! Enjoy! (sorry for the long post!)

INGREDIENTS:
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    3 Tbs (packed) golden brown sugar
    1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
    1 tsp coarse kosher salt
    2 large red-skinned sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1 inch pieces
    3 whole beets (fresh), peeled, cut into 1 inch pieces
    1/2 Fresh Pineapple, cored and cut into 1 inch pieces

Directions:
    1 Preheat BGE to 350°F.
    2 In large skillet over medium heat, bring balsamic vinegar and brown sugar to boil, stirring until the brown sugar dissolves.
    3 Reduce heat and simmer until vinegar thickens slightly, about 3 minutes.
    4 Add butter and salt and stir until butter melts.
    5 Add beets, sweet potatoes and pineapple to skillet; toss to coat.
    6 Transfer all of mixture into roasting pan.
    7 Place roasting pan on BGE grill and roast for 45 minutes, stirring once or twice to “baste” the mix with the glaze.
    8 Raise BGE temp to 450°F, and roast an additional 15 minutes or until beets are “tender” (but not mushy).
    9 Transfer to large platter or bowl and serve.
    10 Tips & Variations:
    11 This recipe is great with any root vegetable (sweet potatoes, parsnips, beets, etc.) or fall “squash” (acorn, pumpkin, butternut). The key is to make sure all of the “pieces” are cut to the same size to ensure a more even cooking time for the mixture. Bigger pieces will take longer to cook than smaller ones! (Mom taught me that one!)
    12 Root vegetables, especially beets are fairly dense and take a long time to cook! Therefore, if you’re in a hurry, you can parboil the vegetables (not the pineapple) in the microwave or on the stove-top (don’t’ forget to save the healthy “broth” for other uses!) prior to adding to the balsamic mixture…
    13 The following are variations that I’ve tried and have friends convinced that it’s a different recipe each time!
    14 a. Variation: Reduce the amount of brown sugar to 1 ½ tablespoons, and add 2 tablespoons of Captain Morgan’s Rum! The glaze will not get as thick in the skillet, but will glaze nicely in the roasting pan on the egg!
    15 b. Variation: Instead of pineapple, try adding a ½ tablespoon more of brown sugar and about 1 cup of fresh cranberries. The cranberries will “burst” and produce a nice sweet/tangy taste with the veggies! This is the way I do it when I do this recipe with only sweet potatoes…. The red and the orange colors are spectacular!
    16 c. Variation: Top off the dish for serving with some toasted pecans!
    17 d. Variation: To serve it in a salad, omit the butter from the glaze (it will congeal), and roast as usual. Let it cool and then serve over a bed of arugula, and sprinkle the top with gorgonzola, feta or any other salty cheese…. And don’t forget those toasted pecans!
    18 BGE Set-up:
    19 Indirect - Inverted Platesetter (legs up) with grill top
    20 Roasting Pan

Recipe Type
    Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: From the Egg of GirlyEgg (a.k.a. Lynn Joseph)

Source: BGE Forum, GirlyEgg, 2007/10/21
  • kip stabone
    Options
    Wow! Sounds great, I'll have to give it a try. Thanks.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Kip, I roast them whole, with peel. Peel em using a papertowel. Slice and eat or dice and toss with horseradish sauce.Don't wince at that suggestion, it's very good. The Broadmoor does them like that. ;) Fresh beets are the greatest!! Let us know what you do.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Linda123
    Linda123 Posts: 67
    Options
    i knew we were forgetting something today ---the beets -- we so wanted to try this & totally forgot the beets --i have now added the beets to my grocery list -- i am sure they would have been yummy with our salmon steaks ---grrrrrrrrrrrrr.......
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Heck yes they would of! Next time. :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Kip,

Try the beets right on the lump sometime. Cool a bit and peel. The sweetness really comes out. Try this with the halibut too.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=857615&catid=1

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• kip stabone
    Options
    Grilled red and gold beet salad with and halibut. It's that time of year to find great fresh halibut!! Thanks to all who helped the hubby grill the beets Here's what I did to the beets: peeled, quarted and tossed with evoo(extra virgin olive oil) and s+p(salt and pepper). Put on 'biggie' and grilled for about 45 mins at 350-400 degs. Had a great tossed salad ready to go with fresh baby greens and herbs, tomatoes, avocado and goat cheese. Used Champagne vinegar and evoo as salad dressing.
    For the halibut: MMM-MMM-MMM!!! Turned out great! Here's a tip for fool-proof, dry-proof, idiot-proof fish. On a big piece of alum foil or parch paper put a small pat (about 1/2 to 1 tbs) butter. Then add a small fingerful of julienned carrots, fennel, shallots, red pepper (can sub with orange or yellow peppers). Add fresh herbs like dill, chervil, taragon, etc and a drizzle of evoo, s+p. Close up package- make sure it's pretty airtight, and place on 'biggie'. We were futzing with the temp, we went from 300 degs to 500 degs, but it didn't matter. I did check the fish at about 15-20 mins in and it was perfectly cooked- when the fish no longer has transparent, raw look.
    Serve and eat. DEEELISH!!

Beets
    P1040371.jpg

Dinner
    P1040377.jpg
  • cookn biker
    Options
    Beautiful!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    This looks excellent. I love beets. Making note for to do list.
  • kip stabone
    Options
    Looks delicious and a lot like what we did. Any issues with the parchment on he bge? We used aluminium foil just to be safe.