Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Grease Fire

SmokyArkie
SmokyArkie Posts: 65
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Recently I smoked several very large roasting chickens for friends and family. I used the plate setter to prevent scorching the chickens but did not use a drip pan. The chickens were delicious and enjoyed by everyone to the point that we had no leftovers to worry about.

The next time I fired up the BGE the grease which apparently ran off of the plate setter and had accumulated between the firebox and BGE wall ignited. Even though the BGE was closed the temp quickly jumped up to a little over 750 and I had flame coming out of the top of the closed BGE. I shut everything down and waited awhile before opening. On inspection the rear gasket (by the hinge) has moved a little but is still basically intact and I do not see any damage to the BGE. Thank goodness.

From now on I will use a drip pan when I use the plate setter. It was quite a show but all’s well that ends well.
:ohmy:

Comments