Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vertical turkey/chicken roasters

Options
Hungry in Lilburn
Hungry in Lilburn Posts: 756
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For those of you that own these tools, how much different does the turkey or chicken taste when cooked using them versus spatchcocked and cooked indirect? I am considering buying 3 of the vertical chicken roasters and one turkey roaster if I get a positive opinon on them. Thanks!

Comments

• SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    For me personally, I have had better results and more positive comments on a vertical roasted bird than I have the spatchcocked...........now that could be my fault, but I have always had rave reviews on vertical roasted chickens(beer can), but haven't had great luck with spatchcocked.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I couldn't tell the difference and tossed my vertical stands after about 3 months. Maybe I didn't know what I was doing back then.

I don't see any reason to change. The chicken and turkey always comes out very juicy spatchcocked or whole.

This bird was cooked at 225° for about 4 hours.

chicken3.jpg

GG
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    If you follow the Spanek procedures, your results should be similar to spatchcocked, but you’ll have a traditional whole bird presentation. Since appearance does have a psychological effect on taste, I’ll say a bird cooked on a Spanek or similar frame will ‘taste’ better than a spatchcocked bird. (All else being equal.)
    What the frame does is give a path for the rising hot air and aromatics to flow through the bird’s cavity unimpeded.
    I get more positive comments from my wife when I’ve cooked a bird on a Spanek frame than when I cook them another way.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Very well said and I for one love the look of a chicken "sitting up". :woohoo:

Regards,
    Bordello
  • Primeggister1
    Options
    Check out mad max turkey recipe on naked whiz, he doesn't use it. Probaby the best turkey recipe I have tried in a long time.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    If you position the bird with legs forward (making a tripod between the can and the legs) you don't need a stand. Align the grid so the legs nest in between two wires. Might be a little challenging for a turkey - personally, I would save the cash and either spatch it or lay it down.

Stand em up, lay em down, spatchcock, butterfly, frog em, cut em up. Regardless of how you cut em they come out moist if pulled at the right temp.

IMG_2531800x600.jpg

IMG_2981800x600.jpg

IMG_3897800x600.jpg

IMG_0896800x600.jpg

IMG_2400800x600.jpg

IMG_2972800x600.jpg

IMG_2977800x600.jpg
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Nice pics, Frank. Now I'm hungry.

I tossed the vertical roaster and just use a can. Who wants to have a messy vertical rack to wash, when you can just toss the can out afterwards.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    How did you the skin so brown and not black?
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    I have to admit the picture of the 5 birds sitting on the grid make me laugh every time!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Not sure what kind of vertical stand you are thinking about, but if you can find a Willie's Chicken Sitter go that route vs. a wire frame one.

IMG_0125.jpg

The small one is for Cornish Game Hens and the large is for chickens. I have a couple of both. With their wide bottom you really have to go out of your way to knock one over - unlike a beer butt bird. Bet you can figure how I know! :laugh:

As for clean up being glazed ceramic you soak them overnight and they clean with ease!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Long slow cook but mostly from cooking higher up in the egg. The lump is below the holes in the fire box.

chicken1.jpg

chicken2.jpg

GG